Monday, March 21, 2011

What Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Gray

On Friday, Spring teased us here in NJ. It was a balmy 70-something degrees, sunny and beautiful. Today, I woke up to hail. HAIL! And of course, after my big Spring Cleaning weekend (which I will post about soon!), I couldn't find my umbrella. Lucky for me I have one at work for the trek home. But on gray days like today, I like to find happiness in simple pleasures.



Tidy up. When parts of my apartment (like, the dining room table or my dresser for instance) are too cluttered, I feel like my mind is cluttered, and I can't find anything. Taking a few minutes to tidy these parts up makes me feel calmer, and saves me time and aggravation looking for stuff.

Read magazines. My favorites are Glamour, Real Simple, All You, and Woman's Day. I know, I sound so old! But they actually offer lots of great tips! I like collecting them and trying them out when I can.

Play Sudoku/Solitaire. This is one I do often on the train, when I'm not reading. It just clears my mind of other stuff going on.

Listening to music. This is another one I do on the train. I don't like hearing people's conversations, or hearing them eat, so the headphones really help. Plus, it can be soothing or upbeat, depending on my mood.

Wearing bright colors.  I don't do this often enough, but wearing bright colors on dreary days, even if it's just an accessory, really brightens my mood and makes me feel pretty.

Give myself a pedicure. I've never gotten a salon pedicure, partly because I don't like my feet and don't want people touching them. I like them much better when they have some color on them.

Eat chocolates. Just something small, like a Hershey Kiss, hits the spot.

Drinking coffee/hot chocolate. Insta-warmth!

Call my friends. There are so many friends that I don't keep in touch with, but I like to check in with them when I can. Sometimes I haven't talked to them in like, 2 months, so sometimes these calls last awhile!

Watch Re-Runs or Trash TV. I have a DVR recording for Gilmore Girls. It comes on everyday at 5, but I'm never home to watch it. By the time weekend comes around, I just delete the boring ones, and watch my favorite episodes. I kinda like that I already know what's going to happen- doesn't take much thinking, and I love a happy ending. Trash TV is just fun to watch,...like my reality shows!

Make plans and fill up my calendar. So I have something to look forward to, and I love to stay busy. Though lately I've just been trying to schedule in some "sit on the couch and relax" plans!

Blog. Reading or writing. I love knowing what's going on in other people's lives, and I like sharing what's up in mine!


What do you do to brighten your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment