I've mentioned that I will do (almost) anything at least once.
So even though I know absolutely zero about women's basketball, when my friend invited me to the last game of the season, I went. I like sports, and beer, and new experiences. I saw The New York Liberty vs. Phoenix Mercury. (Phoenix won... boo!) It also happened to be all-star Katie Smith (from the NY Liberty)'s last game ever! She retired after being in the league since it's inception, which I thought was pretty cool. And even though I hadn't even heard of her before that night, the ceremony and all the pics and clips from past games and words from her coaches, former and present, was all so touching! Not gonna lie, I may have teared up. Plus, I got a free t shirt with her signature!
| pre-game |
| Katie Smith, giving her "goodbye" speech |
I was surprised that there were cheerleaders. However, it was a group of senior citizens (literally) who performed in the half time show. Let me just say, I was really scared that one of them was going to break a hip! And I never want to see someone my grandparent's age dancing to Nelly's "Hot in Here". Ever. Again.
My friend also got tickets to a Q&A with the #1 star in the WNBA- Britney Griner. At 6'8" she was like a giant, especially compared to my 5'2" little self! Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture next to her. She talked a lot about how she got to where she is, hard work, dedication, and her teammates helping her out. She talked about always being made fun of because of her height, and how uncomfortable she was for so long in her own skin, how she had low self esteem, and how basketball was her release- when she got stressed out, she would take to the court. Looks like it definitely paid off! She also talked a bit about coming out earlier this summer, and others reactions to it. I didn't think it was a big deal, but apparently she got a lot of heat from the media, and people talking shit because she's so tall, and has a deep voice, and is good at bball. I guess athletes are coming out more these days, but I still think it must take so much courage to do it. She was really down to earth and personable, and I liked that she took time out to just talk to us and was so honest.
| Hey Britney! |
I also had the pleasure of meeting former WNBA star Kym Hampton! And this time I got a picture (excuse the hair- it was late and my hair had wilted by this point)!
Have you done anything random lately?
Is it bad that I didn't even know there was still a WNBA anymore?
ReplyDelete