Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Day At The Racetrack

A few weeks ago, I was minding my own business, when my friend called inviting me to Yonkers. She wanted to go, but her bf didn't want her to go alone (and he didn't want to go). Never having been there before, I agreed. I'm not a huge gambler (actually I'm not a gambler at all, I like holding on to my money when possible), but it was a nice day, and seemed interesting enough, so why not?

When my friend invited me, she invited me to the casino, Empire City. I walked around the slot machines for awhile, mainly following her, until I got bored and wandered off. I found myself outside, and there was a racetrack. So while she was slotting it up, I was mostly outside, watching the races. 

It brought me right back to being 8 years old, going to the Meadowlands racetrack with my grandpa (except this time I got to have a beer too). He loved betting on the horses. When he wasn't physically at the racetrack, he was either at the OTB or at home listening to the races on the radio. The last time I went with him, I told him I wanted to bet on a horse too. There was one named "My Little Danielle," so of course, that's the one I bet on. No one else bet on her. My grandpa laughed a little when placing the bet, but he did it anyway. And ya know what? She won!! I think I won $48, which is a whole lot to an 8 year old! That might be my favorite memory with him. It was something we could bond over, which is probably why I remember it so well. 

I didn't bet on any this time around, maybe next time. But it was definitely a fun time!

where I be

And they're off!
Got a $10 voucher just for being a first timer- woop!
The one slot machine I played- I liked it because you could literally tap the screen to smash the pigs!
Hot dogs + beer = racetrack perfection

OOTD
glitter gray tank- Express
chambray + necklace- Wet Seal
coral pants- Strawberry's
sunset

2 comments: