This week I'm sharing...
From GoodReads:
"Jeeta’s family is caught up in the whirlwind of arranging marriages for her two older sisters, but the drama and excitement leave Jeeta cold. Even though tradition demands the parade of suitors, the marriage negotiations and the elaborate displays, sixteen-year old Jeeta wonders what happened to the love and romance that the movies promise? She dreads her turn on the matrimonial circuit, especially since Mummy is always complaining about how Jeeta’s dark skin and smart mouth will turn off potential husbands. But when Jeeta’s smart mouth and liberal ideas land her in love with her friend’s cousin Neel, she must strike a balance between duty to her tradition-bound parents, and the strength to follow her heart."
My Thoughts:
C picked this up for me for free from his former school's library. I had little expectations for this, which is possibly why I enjoyed it so much. From the description, it sounded like the same story about arranged marriages. Which it was, but it went a little bit into caste systems and historic versus modern views of marriage. It also touched on domestic abuse and discrimination based on skin color. It was all delivered from an 16 year old Jeeta. I really liked that she spoke her mind openly (though often without thinking)- it made it seem more realistic, and showed how others reacted to and perceived a female speaking out so strongly. This was definitely a quick, easy, if not somewhat fluffy read.

.jpg)
Sounds interesting, I will look for it in the bookshop. I am now following you.
ReplyDeleteThis is different from a lot of the books I normally pick it, but it definitely looks like one I think I'd enjoy.
ReplyDelete