Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Book Challenges

Below are three book/reading challenges, one ending tomorrow, one starting July 1st, and one we're in the middle of, but I just joined. One of the goals on my 101 list is to read books I already own, so I've included as many of those that would fit the categories. Anything with a "*" is one I don't own. Of course, sometimes I need to be in a particular mood to read certain books, so these are more like suggestions rather than set in stone books, but I'm putting it out there anyway, especially to remind myself what I said I would read. You'll also see a lot of overlapping. I'm a slow reader and I'll be lucky if I even finish the challenges, but I'm going to try! 


Book Challenge by Erin 5.0 - General Rules


• First and foremost, have fun. Don't stress. No one is being judged, graded, or penalized. Even if you finish only one book the entire challenge, if you enjoy it and it's an accomplishment for you, then that's awesome.


• The challenge will run from JULY 1, 2016 to OCTOBER 31, 2016. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on July 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on October 31 will count. 


• Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audio books are fine too.


• A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once. If you want to switch the category of a book, or change the book you originally chose, no worries. 


• You can read your books in any order you choose.


• Rereads can be used only once. If a book you love fits into a category, go ahead and visit it again. Read it in its entirety. But, only do this once for the challenge.


• There will be a photo album for each category with links to books chosen. Please comment on the photo for each of your books when you finish reading them. A comment can include a review, a rating, a recommendation…other readers want to hear what you thought of your choice. (if you need help with this, let me know…or there is a file attached to our group explaining what to do.)


• There will be 10 book categories with a possibility of earning 200 points. That’s 10 books in four months. For some of you, this will be a BIG challenge; for others it will be easy peasy. It’s all for fun, remember!


• The first three people who finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the next challenge. The top 3 winners will get a small prize from me ((1st to complete 1st round; 2nd to complete 1st round; 1st to complete both rounds)! If the same person wins all categories, then I’ll move to the 2nd finisher, then 3rd, and so on. Plus, everyone who completes the challenge will gets all sorts of recognition and support!




5 points:  Freebie – Read a book that is at least 200 pages.

TBD :)

10 points: Read a book that starts with the letter “R.”


10 points: Read a book with five words in the title.


15 points: Read a book that has a (mostly) blue cover.


20 points: Read a book with twins as characters. 


20 points: Read a book from this list of books made into movies.
Honestly, I don't like this category. Yes, there are 100 options to choose from, but I really don't like any of them. Out of those, 3 are John Steinbeck, and I detest his writing style. The ones I do like, I've already read. And some have been so talked about that I'm tired of seeing reviews for them (cough, Me Before You, cough).  I wish we could've chosen *any* books that have been or will be turned in to movies (like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, which I already have but haven't seen the movie). I don't own any of these, which means I'll definitely be heading to the library. So I suppose I'll be choosing whichever one of these is readily available:

25 points: Read a book set in a country you have always wanted to visit.
This one also proved to be difficult because I like reading about places I've (very fortunately) already been to. My favorites are ones based in London/UK, France, Spain, and India. I love Chinese and Japanese culture, but I have no desire to go there, and I just finished a book based in Italy. But I do really, really want to go to Australia, and this one was on my TBR, so I'm *finally* going for it.


30 points: Read a historical fiction.


30 points: Read a music related book. 


35 points: Read a book originally published over 100 years ago.

Little Women- Louisa May Alcott (647 pages...whaaaa?!)


General rules:
  • The challenge will run from June 1, 2016, to August 31, 2016. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on June 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on August 31 will count.
  • Each book must be at least 150 pages long. Audiobooks and large-print books are fine, as long as the regular print version meets the length requirement.
  • A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once.
  • The highest possible total is 200 points, and the first five people who finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the winter 2016 challenge.

5 points: Freebie! Read any book that is at least 150 pages long.

Only in Naples: Lessons in Food and Famiglia from my Italian Mother-in-Law- Katherine Wilson  (306 pages)

10 points: Read a collection of short stories or essays. 


10 points: Read an adult fiction book written by an author who normally writes books for children. Examples: J. K. Rowling, Judy Blume, Suzanne Collins, Rick Riordan, etc.


15 points: Read a book set in Appalachia. 


15 points: Don’t judge a book by its cover! Read a book with a cover you personally find unappealing.

20 points: Read a book that you have previously only seen the film (movie) of. 


25 points: Read a book with a punny title. 


30 points: Read a microhistory. 


30 points: Read one book with a good word in the title, and one with a bad word.


Good: TBD.
Bad: The Rejected Writer's Book Club- Suzanne Kelman (428 pages)

40 points: Read two books that contain the same word in the title, but once in the singular and once in the plural. 



And let's not forget...


The Read My Books Challenge with me and Erin! Once again, here's some things to know to help with any confusion or questions you may have:
  • Challenge is June 1st, 2016 - June 30, 2016 (tomorrow!)
  • Link-up to report how you did in the challenge is the second Thursday of July, the 14th
  • Your link-up post can be anything related to the challenge (i.e. reviews of the books you read, why you "collect" so many books that go unread, a book that surprised you once you read it for the challenge, where you get all those books/ebooks/audio books that end up neglected, pictures of your bookshelves, etc.) 
  • Read ONLY books (audio books, ebooks included) that you currently own (or have downloaded already; and yes, NetGalley counts!). This means no library books, no buying new books, no downloading or borrowing new books.
  • You are not required to read ALL the books you own, and this isn't a competition for how many books you read, just some encouragement to read a book on your shelves! 
  • Two Amazon gift cards will be given to two randomly selected lucky winners; a raffle for the Amazon $ will be posted in the link-up.
Any other questions, just ask! 

Are you participating in any reading challenges this summer?

2 comments:

  1. With mine, I say it all the time, I want it to be fun without stress...so feel free to change and modify accordingly. I'm not too worried if you choose Whiskey Tango Foxtrot for the movie one, if that's a book you'd rather read. Or if you choose a country you've already visited.

    There are a couple in Megan's challenge that I'm pretty sure I'm already going to be changing because I'm just not "feeling" the books I originally selected.

    For Read My Books, I've done well. I've knocked off 6 books from my shelf, I'm reading a 7th, and I was encouraged to pick others from my shelf for the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning to do both of these as well, though like you my book picks are not final at all! I am also trying to use books that I own for a lot of the categories if possible, but of course I don't have a book to fit every category either! I think I have completed one book from my SemiCharmed list, and have started another one. I really loved Memoirs of a Geisha. It was so beautifully written. I think I read it early in high school but just loved every bit of it. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete