Red Girl, Blue Boy- Lauren Baratz-Logsted- 2 Stars
First of all, I didn't know that this was part of a series, but it works well as a standalone. However, I have no interest in reading the rest of the series, because the characters were rigid. There was no character depth or growth, and I felt nothing for them throughout the story.
The story had a great premise: 2 16 year olds from opposing political parties fall for each other during a Presidential election year. Great. I thought it was really cute how Drew had cut out her picture from a newspaper when they were little, saying that Katie was going to be his girlfriend, and saved it for many years. I was surprised later on when he met her that he didn't remember that at all. I wish the author wrote more about this.
Then there was Katie. I could not stand how stupid and immature she seemed. Never seen a landline phone? Never had a friend? ALL of your ideas about kids your own age come from watching TV shows and movies?! Seriously? It just seemed so completely unrealistic. I liked Drew, who seemed more normal and down to Earth.
Overall, it was a great premise, but poor execution. I finished it, but didn't really feel for the characters or care for the story.
Things I Can't Explain- Mitchell Kriegman- 4 Stars
I picked this book because I saw that it was written by the creator of the 90's Nickelodeon sitcom Clarissa Explains It All with Melissa Joan Hart. Even though I was never a die-hard fan of the show, I remember enjoying it. There were definitely some connections to the show (her quirky family and Sam are still there), but it worked well on it's own as well. I found Clarissa to be quirky but relatable, witty, honest, and perfectly portrayed what a young 20-something in NYC could look like (complete with job loss and unpaid loans). I'm pretty sure we would have been IRL friends.
I loved how she nicknamed CCG (I give nicknames to "strangers" all the time), and how their relationship progressed and grew. I really enjoyed the graphs/charts. They were just a reminder of the old Clarissa and her analytical nature. Remember how Clarissa used to cut away from the scene and speak directly to the cameras? Well obviously she can't do that here, but her monologues with herself are very reminiscent of those scenes.
The only thing I found a bit tedious were the parts on her closet and "what to wear" moments. I remember her being a bit of a trendsetter/unique dresser in the show so this aspect wasn't surprising, but also it was just not captivating for me. But overall I really enjoyed this story, and wouldn't be mad if it turned into a series.
Love You Better- Natalie K. Martin- 3 Stars
Effie, heartbroken over a recent breakup with non-committal Smith, rushes into a relationship and marriage to some rich guy she just met 5 months earlier because he represents everything she wants- stability, a "normal" lifestyle, roots somewhere in the form of a house/mini-mansion, and someone fawning over her.
That is, until he shows his true colors starting the very next day, on their honeymoon. He almost immediately turns into a manipulative prick, trying to get Effie to change her style, take over her money, and downright forbidding her from seeing her friends. I'm not sure how she misses these obvious red flags until the worst happens. I was in shock with just how far he went, repeatedly, and how narrowly she was able to escape.
I liked the fireworks between Smith and Effie, though I think it was completely selfish of him to come back into her life when he did. If he couldn't man up to face her before anything could be done, why bother showing up later? I mean, obviously his being there is imperative to the story, but he's timing was way off.
I really liked Effie's mom, Penny as well. I don't think Effie was fair to her or to their relationship growing up, but then again just like in reality, it's easier to see this from the outside than from within. And the important part was that Penny was there for her, trying to guide and support her, even when Effie thought it was just the opposite until much later.
This story had everything- suspense, friendship, love, family- yet somehow it just didn't quite do it for me. Maybe this was a timing thing, as everything I could have asked for was there. Or it may be that the subject matter hit a little too close to home and made me slightly uncomfortable. Being that I saw some of these things firsthand, I thought Effie's reactions were somewhat perverse and there were a lack of realistic consequences to many of her actions.
What I will say without a doubt is that Natalie K. Martin delivers intense descriptions. I could see Oliver's vein throbbing in his forehead, and the serene, idyllic landscape and welcoming neighbors of the modern commune where her mom lived. I could feel the palpable fear of Effie, and hear the concern in Lou's "voice."
Post-Traumatic Brazilian Wax Syndrome- Tamara Lyon- 2 Stars
I wanted to like this more than I actually did. I liked the cover and title and knew it would be a bit of a fluffy read, and it was, but it dragged on remarkably. As in, I started it literally a month ago, put it down twice to read something else, and just finished it last night. I know it's chick-lit, but we all know what's going to happen before we even hit the middle of the book. Her personal neurosis that seemed quirky but realistic at first became flat and boring. Not to mention her lovelorn, I'm-so-confused, helpless female act becomes intolerable as the story continues (NOT to be confused with progresses- there is no progression). There is zero character development.
I found the grandmother to be by far the most entertaining character. Margarita the cousin seemed like a complete idiot who acts more like a rambunctious, club/party-crazed teen than an adult and mother of two. She seems to pay more attention to her latest boy toy than her kids, and turns a blind eye to his (and apparently all of her exes) drunk, disgusting ways. I liked Jack, particularly for putting up with Bristow. He did seem a bit too good to be true, but his honesty (particularly when citing his own neurosis to make Bristow feel better) and even his shyness were endearing.
*These books were given to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
What have you been reading lately? Link up below!





things i can't explain sounds interesting! i never watched the show, but i am sure i would have liked it lol. love you better is definitely intriguing.
ReplyDeleteI loved Clarissa Explains it All! I'm going to have to read that book. Sounds like maybe it's going to be a series? Yay for childhood nostalgia. :)
ReplyDeleteOooh, Love You Better sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to check it out!
ReplyDeleteLove You Better sounds good - I'm adding it to my list!
ReplyDeleteOhhhh I saw that Melissa had a book out but I didn't know anyone who read it yet. I just loved Clarissa Explains It All and I so need to add this to my list!!!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know there was a Clarissa book out either! I'm going to have to read it!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea Clarissa Explains it all was a book!! It would be interesting to read it, even for nostalgia sake.
ReplyDeleteClarissa all grown up... I could get into that. I absolutely LOVED that show! Like, mini-obsession.
ReplyDeleteThe title of that last one is so funny.
ReplyDeleteI definitely don't use NetGalley like I should. It's been hit or miss for me but the idea of free books always makes me happy.