Monday, November 23, 2015

Star Wars, Cuban Food, and a Concert- Oh My!

This weekend was pretty freakin fantastic. Saturday was a big day- an NYC date day trifecta, if you will. We started it out with a trip to Discovery Times Square to see the Star Wars Costume Exhibit. It was really cool to see the original costumes from the movies, learn about where George Lucas got his inspiration, how he listened to the actors' ideas and alterations, and just how the costumes came to fruition.


there was a large section just for Princess Leia, which I loved


themed T shirts in the gift shop- the red one may be my favorite
Afterwards, we headed to Latitude bar for some drinks because we were way too early for dinner, and it was on our way. $5 Stellas in the city is pretty damn good; yay for Happy Hour specials. And then we went to my favorite Cuban restaurant, Guantanamera. It was crowded, but the food (as per usual) did not disappoint. I got the Ropa Vieja (shredded skirt steak) and Blue got the Churrasco (grilled skirt steak with chimichuri sauce), and we split a side of maduros (sweet plantains). Nom.

"The Force made us hungry."
We ended the night at Town Hall, where Ani DiFranco was performing. I liked this venue because it seemed smaller and more intimate. I have never seen her perform live before, and was never a huge fan, though I'm not sure why. She was absolutely excellent, and a great storyteller. I especially enjoyed the part where she, the drummer and the bassist stepped away from all the mics and electronic stuff and did a few songs without all that. You could hear their raw talent.
obligatory date night pic, the acoustic section of songs, and MacGyver'ing a way to keep our glasses clean while taking a quick trip to the restroom before refills 
she didn't wear any shoes. I also really liked her rugs. 
Sunday was a day of rest. Caught up on sleep, watched some football, had some crockpot chipotle chicken over rice for dins, accidentally tuned in to the AMA Red Carpet Special and live-tweeted the hell out of it (sorry...kinda) and Blue hosted the Walking Dead viewing night (did anyone see it?! OMG!!!). 

How was your weekend? Linking up with the lovely Biana for Weekending! 

11 comments:

  1. That Star Wars exhibit is really cool! Movie costumes fascinate me. There's a movie theater in Seattle owned by Paul Allen (one of the Microsoft founders) and there are a bunch of original movie costumes on display in the lobby. I love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Star Wars exhibit looks like so much fun! My husband and I are headed to NYC next week, and that seems like the perfect thing to check out while we're there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a theater here that has a lot of original costumes from movies and props...its pretty cool! Looks like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a fun weekend! The Star Wars event looks cool, I love the I woke up like this shirt. And your meal looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cuban food. Sounds like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun weekend. That star wars exhibit looks like so much fun. I totally watched TWD. I knew he wasn't dead but I do feel like someone big is gonna get killed off and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did Ani sing Untouchable Face? I freaking love that song.

    The Star Wars exhibit looks awesome! Glad you guys got to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool to see all of those costumes in person!! What an awesome date night!
    Plantains... *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like so much fun! I went to two concerts this weekend!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cast of The Force Awakens was on Jimmy Kimmel last night and played Star Wars trivia against an 8 year old and got their asses HANDED to them. I totally had no intentions of watching the AMAs on Sunday and ended up live tweeting the crap out of them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO jealous! I would have LOVED to see that! I've seen that there is a one just like that for The Hunger Games but I'm sure that it'll be nowhere near me here in Central Wisconsin. :\

    Thanks again for sharing this with me. :)

    ReplyDelete