Spirit Animal: (n) Online, saying something or someone is your spirit animal is a statement that said person or thing is a representation of you or what you want to be. (via Urban Dictionary)
You may remember Mindy Kaling as the shallow, self-involved Kelly Kapoor on The Office. (Un-?) fortunately, I didn't really watch The Office, so I only know her as the self-centered, but also hilarious, fashionable, and relatable Mindy Lahiri from The Mindy Project, and herself, from her books. I've been watching the show since its inception, and was absolutely thrilled when Hulu picked it up after last season. I may not be a doctor, but I am another stereotypical nerdy, unpopular (ok, that part was true until her series), Indian girl. Here are some other ways in which we are similar:
We're both clumsy:
 |
| (This has actually happened to me) |
We're well connected and/or resourceful:
 |
| (I've been known to do this as well...) |
We believe in cheese, and good customer service:
 |
| (I've requested the manager for poor customer service on more than one occasion) |
We're not very good with kids:
 |
| (literally) |
We've been confused for other ethnicities, more than once, by our (ex)bf's parents:
 |
| no but really, someone's mom wanted to touch my hair to see how "nappy" hair felt. #notokay |
We tell it like it is, which may sometimes be completely inappropriate:
Neither of us really like to exercise:
 |
| #truth |
We have similar relationship goals:
We like multi-functional/utilitarian clothing:
 |
| I don't own one of these... yet. #goals |
We know our rights (and declare them when necessary):
 |
| May change that to mozzarella sticks, but you get the idea |
We have no problem asking for what we want:
 |
| At least when it comes to relationships... |
Or maybe we're not alike at all and I just have a TV-diagnosed disease:
Obviously, there are blaring similarities. Other than ya know, being a celebrity and writing scripts for TV shows and books and being friends with Tina Fey. And wanting to/being a comedian. And... stuff. What are you confessing today?
I haven't watched the Mindy Project but I thought she was hilarious on The Office. I have heard good things about her books too!
ReplyDeleteI love Mindy and feel like she could totally be my BFF!!!! And obviously you too :)
ReplyDeleteMindy is the greatest. I am so horrible with kids...that gif is totally me too! A friend's mom (who is 100% Asian) asked him if I was HALF ASIAN. Someone else told me they thought I was part Asian too. Pretty sure I'm 0% Asian and I don't really see it.
ReplyDeleteI think I sat through one episode of her show and was like, naahh thanks. Wanted to "feel how nappy hair felt"?? Someone would have got a whole earful form me if I ever heard that. I feel that way when people ask if my hair is a perm. Bitch please!
ReplyDeleteThank you for all of these glorious Mindy gifs. I love, love the Office (seriously, watch it) and everything she's done, pretty much. These gifs made me happier than you can know.
ReplyDeleteI loved Mindy on The Office. She's hilarious and a strong woman and good role model. So, like, the perfect spirit animal.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely in love with this post! Mindy is one of my favorite comedians. You hit the spot with this post!!! And I second you on the Mozzarella Sticks! (:
ReplyDeleteWater is wet. The sky is blue. And Mindy Kaling IS your spirit animal! #universaltruths
ReplyDelete<3 Blue
i have never seen the show but i should...everyone says how awesome it is!
ReplyDeleteI'm so out of touch when it comes to television shows. If I ever decide to dive into a show, I think I'd really enjoy this one. Based on your gifs in this post alone, I think I love her.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen that show, I may need to check it out!
ReplyDeleteI love Mindy! I loved her on The Office (her character is different from Mindy Lahiri but so similar) and I love The Mindy Project! 'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?' is one of my favorite books and I'll read random excerpts for a good laugh. What a good spirit animal pick! And this post totally cracked me up!
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I read Mindy's first book (or listened to it, actually), and I adored her. I started watching her show, but then I missed it a few times and now I think I'm two seasons behind. I do love her though.
ReplyDeleteI love how relateable she is! I'm definitely the same way with children.
ReplyDeleteI have yet to watch this show but I always love the gifs when people post them, lolololol You know I love this post idea! ;)
ReplyDeleteI love Mindy and this post was hilarious. I can't wait to read her new book.
ReplyDeleteMan, I really need to watch The Mindy Project! This was hilarious and the gifs were spot on! Plus I can relate to so many...
ReplyDelete