Friday, August 17, 2012

Book Club Friday: Fifty Shades of Grey


This week I'm sharing...


Synopsis:
 "When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires." 

My Thoughts:
I read this because I wanted to see what the hype was all about. 
Umm. I still don't understand.

First of all, I don't like Ana. She is weak and juvenile. She wants to please him so badly she comes off as completely pathetic. And she seems to have absolutely no self-confidence, which I really don't like. Why doesn't she stand up for what she believes and be honest without being drunk or hiding behind a computer?

Secondly, I understand Christian has money and great looks, but he is a complete ass. He has major mood swings and is always brooding or has ulterior motives. Not to mention that he's a stalker, tells you he wants to put you in pain because it's a turn-on for him, and tells you directly to Stay Away- I'm dangerous. TAKE A FREAKIN HINT!

Thirdly, I've never read "erotica" or whatever you call this, but I didn't find the sex scenes to be particularly steamy. Maybe the fact that Ana kept calling her vagina "down there" or talking about her "behind", but it did nothing for me. 

What worries me most is that some think this story ends in "love." Christian is actually horrified by the word. It is that word that makes them realize whatever their relationship is won't work. At least not now. 

Also, the ending didn't offer a cliffhanger so I really don't know how she's going to pull 2 more books out of this story. I thought the ending of this one was pretty clear cut, but I will finish the trilogy. I am intrigued by why Christian is the way he is, so I hope the next 2 books get into his back story. 

Favorite Quote:
"I want to chase the dawn with you."

Word Count: 
"Oh My" - 79
"Crap" - 101
"Jeez" - 82
"Holy (shit/fuck/crap/hell/cow/moses)" - 172
"Whoa" - 13
"Gasp" - 34
"Gasps" - 11
"Sharp Intake of Breath" - 4
"Murmur" - 68
"Murmurs" - 139
"Whisper" - 96
"Whispers" - 103
"Mutter" - 28
"Mutters" - 23
"Fifty" - 16
"Lip" - 71
"Inner goddess" - 58
"Subconscious" - 82
via
The above link to a review is total hilarity, and I strongly suggest you read it, whether you liked the book or not!

2 comments:

  1. Thank sweet baby Jesus! I am so glad we are on the same page with this one. And that review really is hilarious, I am glad you linked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the book. I think people in general raved over this because she was such a virgin in more ways that the literal. He was the bad boy {who happened to be a total freak}. DO LOVE the word count. By the third book I couldn't finish it because of how many times they kept saying shit about biting her lip and whoa and down there, etc, etc, etc. Definitely not a read for mental stimulation. :)

    ReplyDelete