Friday, August 3, 2012

Book Club Friday: The Secret Life of Bees


This week I'm sharing...


From GoodReads
"Set in South Carolina in 1964, The Secret Life of Bees tells the story of Lily Owens, whose life has been shaped around the blurred memory of the afternoon her mother was killed. When Lily's fierce-hearted "stand-in mother," Rosaleen, insults three of the town's fiercest racists, Lily decides they should both escape to Tiburon, South Carolina—a town that holds the secret to her mother's past. There they are taken in by an eccentric trio of black beekeeping sisters who introduce Lily to a mesmerizing world of bees, honey, and the Black Madonna who presides over their household. This is a remarkable story about divine female power and the transforming power of love—a story that women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come."

My Thoughts:
I.Loved.This.Book!! 
I loved it so much, in fact, that I think this was the second time I read it- unintentionally. I don't remember the first time I read it, but I couldn't remember the plot, just bits and pieces, so I read it again. This time, my thoughts in bullets- 
{Spoiler Alert!}

-This had very little to do with bees, except for the excerpts before each chapter, which after a while I stopped reading because they seemed confusing
- I hated T-Ray. However I finally understood him (a little) at the very end
- I love how August (and all the sisters) knew who she was the entire time but didn't let on
- Also loved that she was so independent- she had her own business, her own house, and as she said she loved a man once, but loved her freedom more (I'm hearing Destiny's Child now...)
-May's death made me teary-eyed... which has only happened like once before
- Rosaleen is SO bold...love her
-The historical sections regarding desegregation were heartbreaking, yet realistic
-The entire novel was so well written. The scenes were vivid, the people were like your cousins down South, and the whole thing was riddled with poetry
- Lily is wiser than her years. Her story was one of courage, persistence, and faith. Faith and hope in the unknown.

My Favorite Quote
"There is nothing perfect... there is only life."


What are you reading? 
Link up with Heather and Katie!

4 comments:

  1. i read this years ago but i LOVED it too :)

    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the hardest time getting into this book when my old bookclub did it! Glad you liked it though! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never read this one. But it's one I've been curious about for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, this was a great book! It took a couple chapters for me to really get into it, but after that point I couldn't put it down!


    Claire
    Live, Laugh, Love, Teach

    ReplyDelete