Please excuse the tardiness of this weekend update, but it has to be documented because it was pretty much the perfect fall weekend. It started off bright and early Saturday with Alyssa, Michael, and Jenn at Bullock Farms in Cream Ridge, NJ. You guys already know how much I love my state, but I had honestly never heard of this cute little town nestled in Central Jersey.
obligatory blate group shot
We did all the falling. There was no enforced dress code, but there may as well have been (please note the leggings/cardis/scarves/ and boots). Yup, no bloggers to be seen here, move along! This farm was great, too. First of all, it was super crowded. And they were inexpensive! We were able to go on a hayride, go pumpkin picking (fresh off the vine!), and I purchased 2 medium size pumpkins, apple cider donuts, AND apple cider for less than $20! #fallingonabudget
silly pics (there was a cutout, how could we not?), tractor hayride, and the pumpkin patch
After filling our bags with pumpkins and our bellies with apple cider donuts, we headed over to Cream Ridge Winery just down the road. I've been to quite a few wineries, both in NJ and NY, and this one is definitely one of my new favorites. First off, the staff was hilarious. Cream Ridge Winery is a family run business, and they made you feel like a cousin visitng on a holiday- they were warm and welcoming. Like, "C'mon in! Sit! Have a drink! Relax!" They asked us if we were celebrating a special occasion. "Are you celebrating a birthday? Bachelorette?" To which Michael slyly replied "It's Saturday?!" Well played girl, well played.
Cream Ridge Winery
One of the first things you notice about this particular winery is just how many fruity and sweet wines they have. I mean, look at that menu below! The best part? They let you have 10 tastings for a mere $5, which is just about unheard of. Not only that, but they also made recommendations based on other things you liked/didn't like, and gave several free tastings. As in, I paid for 10 and got at least 13. And they were all really good. Some I liked more than others based on personal perferences (I'm not a huge fan of super sweet wines, but I love me some dry reds), but I can't say that any were too acidic, which is one of my biggest complaints in some wines. I even took home several bottles, which I don't do unless I really like them! I also got an apple peach chutney which I can't wait to try!
After the tastings, we were able to snag a table outside where live music, conversation, and wine flowed freely. It was a gorgeous afternoon with great company, and I couldn't have asked for a better day.
Cheers!/tasting menu/group shot
On Sunday, I was up and out early again, this time to America's Oldest Winery, Brotherhood in upstate NY. This was one that Blue had been to years ago, but it was my first time.
Wine tour/giant barrels in the Long Vault
Overall, I liked it, but it didn't have the home-y feel to it that Cream Ridge Winery had. This one was huge, super commercialized, and crowded. Also unlike Cream Ridge, they didn't have any vineyards on site (all of their grapes were imported from either the NY Long Island North Fork region or California), they bottled other companies' products on site due to their large bottling facility, and they had tours. I'm not going to lie; I was surprised by not only how many kids were at the winery, but how many were on the tour and at the tasting. I understand that you can't always get a sitter and you still want to live your life, but at what point does one think "hmmm... maybe I shouldn't bring my toddler to a wine tasting..."? At least they were mostly well behaved.
making momma proud by going to "church" on a Sunday
I always like tours because I seem to learn at least one thing new every time. This time, I learned about how champagne was made (it's actually kind of gross), in addition to some history on the winery. Fun fact: It is America's Oldest Winery because during Prohibition, it was able to stay open due to the amount of sacrificial (read: church) wine it produced and sold to churches. The tour group was at least 25 people deep, so we were able to get our own private tasting in The Chapel. (It used to be a religious chapel. It has since been turned into a tasting room for when the other ones get overcrowded.) I honestly don't remember the last time I was in a church on Sunday, hence me cracking up when Blue mentioned it before snapping the pic. (For the record, I'm Catholic, I just don't go to church except on high holidays.)
The Chapel/ wine tasting list/wine tasting set up
The wine was very 50/50. I really loved that at Cream Ridge, we were able to pick and choose whatever variety of wines we wanted. Here, you got 5 tastings, and they were pre-chosen. I wouldn't have picked them beforehand if I was given the opportunity because half of them didn't sound like ones I would enjoy, and I was right. The only thing I bought from here was Meade, because I learned that it was the only one that was used at the NY Renaissance Faire and I freakin loved that stuff.
people grape stomping/me, at the wine tasting/a motorcycle couple dancing/ the wine vault
After the tour and the tasting, Blue and I got a few glasses and people watched for awhile. There was a large motorcycle group there that looked like regulars; they all had the Brotherhood insignia on their denim jackets. They were super nice, but my favorite part was when this couple started dancing to the Dj's music- they were really good! (Please note this woman's leather chaps snapped over her jeans.)
But then... The DJ called the grape stompers up. Ummm.....WHAT. I have literally wanted to do grape stomping for years. Not to actually make wine, just because it looked like fun. I couldn't believe that you could do that here! It's been on my 101 in 1001 list, and I was determined that now would be the time. I went up to the DJ to sign up, and he initally told me all the spots were filled, btu I guess at the last minute someone pulled out because he approached me and told me I could do it, and the last competition was starting in 5 minutes!
action shot:grape stomping/aftermath/winning
I competed against two other women. We each had our own bucket filled with grapes, and had to stomp on them (barefoot, obviously), for the length of one song. Afterwards, a guy came around and measured how much juice we got via a ruler. AND I WON! The prize was a bottle of wine, and the label says something like Grape Stomp Champion. Yay for free wine, but I was just so excited that I did it!! And, because sharing is caring, here is my first ever personal video on the blog. (I know, I can hardly believe that I'm sharing this either.) Blue tried to get all of it, but my phone cut out due to lack of memory (ha...hahaha). I only actually speak once, but I hope you enjoy!
Haaaahahaha! I love your frantic stomping. Obviously it paid off since you won! Now the question is - are you going to actually drink that wine, or keep it like a trophy?
What a great day!!! Congrats on being the Grape Stomp Champion!! That bottle of wine is so great!! Love the video. I totally wouldn't open that bottle of wine, I would keep it as a trophy. haha
OMG!!! 1) Perfect recap of our falling excellence. 2) Where is Brotherhood? 3) SOOOOOO jelly you got to stomp grapes!!! That's on my list since that episode of I love Lucy :)And congrats! on winning.
What a perfect weekend. Had so much fun with you Saturday, can't wait for the next blate!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you guys had a wonderful day Saturday!
ReplyDeleteHELL YES to grape stomping. That is awesome! I've always had the desire as well, never the opportunity yet though.
How fun!!! Grape stomping?! Hell yeah!
ReplyDeleteHaaaahahaha! I love your frantic stomping. Obviously it paid off since you won! Now the question is - are you going to actually drink that wine, or keep it like a trophy?
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day!!! Congrats on being the Grape Stomp Champion!! That bottle of wine is so great!! Love the video. I totally wouldn't open that bottle of wine, I would keep it as a trophy. haha
ReplyDeleteOMG!!!
ReplyDelete1) Perfect recap of our falling excellence.
2) Where is Brotherhood?
3) SOOOOOO jelly you got to stomp grapes!!! That's on my list since that episode of I love Lucy :)And congrats! on winning.