Monday, October 26, 2015

Into The Pint Glass: Pumpkin Beers

I love the prompt for Into The Pint Glass this time around. As you may know, one of my Fall Bucket List items was to drink allthepumpkinales, and while I certainly didn't try them all, I did try a bunch of them! 



Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale- Portland, ME  
ABV: 4.5%
Shipyard is a crowd pleaser, and their pumpkin ale is on point. It's a good, easy to drink beer. Moderate pumpkin flavor and not too overpowering. Hint of spicy graham cracker/ginger snap cookie. Cinnamon and sugar. 3.5 stars. 

Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin Ale- Brooklyn, NY 
ABV 5% 
Tasted like dead vegetables. A bit more sour than spicy; not very pumpkin-y. Dry, bitter, earthy (but not in a good one). I heard that the 2015 version is better; more pumpkin flavor, less sour, but obviously I didn't have that one. 2 Stars. 

River Horse Hipp O Lantern Imperial Pumpkin Ale- Ewing, NJ 
ABV 8.1%
I wanted to like this one more than I actually did. It was malty with some light pumpkin and some moderate spicing including cinnamon and some nutmeg. The pumpkin + spices were mixed well, but the alcohol was too present and the after taste was a bit harsh. 2.5 stars.

Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale- Denver, CO 
ABV 5.7%
Simple, pleasant, light beer. More of a citrusy-pumpkin taste that would be noted coming from Blue Moon. It's not overly sweet and it tastes kind of fruity, like light pumpkin and malt with a light spice finish. A solid pumpkin ale; very smooth and easy to drink.

Magic Hat Wilhelm Scream- South Burlington, VT 
ABV 5.4%
I'll admit that I wanted to try this because of the label and because usually I like Magic Hat. Nope, nope, nope. Not a favorite. Bitter after taste that kind of ruined my initial reaction and wouldn't go away. Lacked pumpkin flavor, and was overall pretty bland. This is one of the weakest pumpkin beers I have had. 2.5 stars. 


The Bruery Autumn Maple- Placentia, CA: 
ABV: 10%
This is listed as a pumpkin/yam beer. It's more of a rich malty brown ale with syrup and spices (much as I would imagine a "maple" one to taste like). It was more sweet than spicy; a little too sweet for me. 2.5 stars.

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale- Easton, PA 
ABV 8% 
Great cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices, but mixed well with the pumpkin flavor. Definitely heartier and spicier than some of the others on this list.  It Had a brown sugar sweetness followed by a dry spice finish. Body is heavier with a foamy feel. Definitely best for someone who appreciates the spices of the season. 3 stars.



Stoudt Pumpkin Fest- Adamstown, PA
ABV: 5%
Honestly this tastes like a PSL in beer form. I originally thought it was a bit too spicy (very ginger-y/allspice taste), but it grew on me. It's a good mix of pumpkin and Oktoberfest.  3 stars.

Southern Tier Brewing Company Pumpking- Lakewood, NY
ABV 8.6% 
Fall in a glass. Perfect mix of original pumpkin flavor, vanilla, clove and nutmeg. Smooth, but packs a good punch. Possibly my favorite pumpkin beer in the patch! 4 stars.


I love trying new beers, and I love tracking them with the beer app Untappd. Are you on there? You can find me @lildesiqua! 
Do you like seasonal ales? What's your favorite?

Into The Pint Glass

6 comments:

  1. I have had Pumpking before, but I dont think I have tried the others? My favorite pumpkin beer is Funky Pumpkin by boulevard. I also really enjoy Jack-o-Traveler, the shandy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shiner makes a pumpkin beer?! I need to have this ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding you on Untappd as soon as I get done typing this. Sounds like you tried some good pumpkin beers. I attempt to try them all this time of year even though they're not my favorite by any stretch. My favorite was Funky Pumpkin by Boulevard. It's a sour though, so you might not like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge beer person but some of these sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Southern Tier sounds like something I'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little behind on my blog reading...I love the Jack-O Traveler!

    ReplyDelete