Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Top 5 U.S. Destinations

Recently my friend's niece won the grand prize in a tricky tray- a FREE trip to ANYWHERE in the continental U.S. for TWO, air and hotel included. To say I'm jealous would be an understatement. So I put together my own list of 5 destinations where I would choose to go if I won such a fantastic trip.


California- San Francisco and Napa Valley
Apparently I've been to San Fran, I just wasn't born yet. My mother loves to tease me about that, especially since I've wanted to go here since Full House first became popular. And even though I'm not a huge fan anymore, my first stop would be seeing the house. Then I'd take trolley to the Golden Gate Bridge, because it's the most famous bridge in the world. Next stop? A night tour of Alcatraz. I mean, it housed one of the most notorious inmates of all time, Al Capone. Is SF known for any particular food? Because I want that too.

Napa Valley because...duh...wine.
San Francisco:
16th Ave Mosaic Steps in SF

The "PNW"::Portland, Oregon//Seattle, Washington
You know what I've heard most about Portland? Well, it rains a lot AND VooDoo Doughnuts so hitting that up is a must. I'd also want to visit their Old Chinatown, go hiking, and try some of their craft beer, maybe with a movie at one of their famous movie brewpubs. I think it'd be cool to visit the International Rose Test Garden too, because rose is one of my favorite scents, and it's "the oldest official, continuously operated public rose test garden in the United States."

PDX rogue

In Seattle, I obviously need to see the Space Needle. While I'm in the area, I'd head over to the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum. I like seeing really odd things, so I'd take a walk down Bubbleum Alley. I'd make my way over to Pier 57, take a ride on the Great Wheel, and visit the Seattle Aquarium. I've never heard of this EMP Museum, but the tag line says "Music+Sci fi+ Pop Culture" which sounds awesome. Also, is there a Sleepless in Seattle tour? I'd want to go on that, because I adore that movie.





The Bourbon Trail in Kentucky
Do you know that I JUST learned that there is an actual Bourbon Trail? I'm not kidding. They have a map and a passport, which gets stamped as you visit each bourbon distillery (there are 9). And I'm going for my birthday trip in December! We're staying in Bardstown, which (from reading reviews) everyone says is a super quaint little town. It was actually voted the "Most Beautiful Small Town in America." So I'm going to drink all the bourbon and eat all their delicious foods. If I had more time, and being that "hotel" is included in my dream travel package, I would also want to stay at Blackberry Farm. It beautiful and it has it's own micro-brewery!
[via]


Austin, Texas
Austin is known for being "weird" and that's exactly why I want to visit it. A "Cathedral of Junk"? Thousands of bats taking off from a bridge? Food from your backyard/trailer/food truck/etc? Sign me up. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to go see the State Capitol, but honestly, I'm not that interested. I know Austin is popular for it's craft and microbreweries, so taking a tour would definitely be on my agenda. I also hear that there are lots of little specialty and oddity shops on Congress Ave. so I'd check that out too. But the number one thing I'd like to do in Austin is go to Austin City Limits Music Festival, because I've never been to such a large festival and Austin is known for their music, right? Oh, and grabbing a beer and sitting in this natural pool looks pretty inviting too.
Greenbelt and Hamilton’s Pool austin texas
[Hamilton Pools]
Cathedral of Junk
the Cathedral of Junk

New Orleans, Louisiana
Every single one of these places, particularly Cafe Du Monde (give me all the beignets) and Pat O'Brien's. Also, all of these things too. I want crawfish, original po'boys, fried alligator, some gumbo or jambalaya, snocones, and those yardstick drinks. I want to go on a ghost tour, listen to all the big brass and jazz, and hit up Mardi Gras World, because I'm too much of a wuss to go to the actual Mardi Gras.



Bonus: Chicago, Illinois
I'm adding this as a bonus because 1) I already have 5 places and 2) I've actually been to Chicago once before for a conference in college, but I want to go back. I remember having deep dish and drinking hot chocolate while watching people ice skate at McCormick Tribune Ice Rink, but I've seen Crown Fountain or Cloud Gate aka The Bean! Other places of note? Well, the 2nd tallest building of the Western Hemisphere, and a stroll down Navy Pier. I'd also like to see a Cubs game at Wrigley Field, preferably while noshing on a Chicago-style Dog.

Navy Pier at night

check out that view from the Sky Deck!

Where would you go if you won an all-expenses paid trip anywhere in the continental U.S.?

wanderlust wednesday: exploring oahu

11 comments:

  1. I love your list! Those are all such great places! If I got to pick, I would either pick Maine (so beautiful there) or Oregon (I really want to see Crater Lake!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's a Sleepless in Seattle tour but I know a lot of the spots soooo if you came here I could just give you your own personal tour! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who lived in KY for two years and has actually run the bourbon trail I can attest to the fact that you're gonna love it. And Bardstown is a pretty cool little town but I will warn that it is a Small town....also if you've got Verizon don't be surprised if your phone gets no service lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. All things sourdough in SF. Nooommmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list! I've been to about half, and would love to see the other half especially the bourbon trail in Kentucky and Napa because duh wine :)

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  6. Austin is on my list for next yeat. I've been to San Fran, Chicago and New Orleans and they're all places worth visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have such a serious case of wanderlust! I want to go to all of these places but if I won a trip, San Fran would be the first place I'd head! I've always wanted to go. And I'm very excited to hear about your birthday trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, and great snapshot that America has so many cool places to visit and things to see/do! How cool are you that you're going on the Bourbon Trail? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely have a great list going! A trip to the PNW is on my short list for next year, for all of the reasons that you mentioned! I've heard that there's so many things to do, plus I've heard that it's just absolutely beautiful! I had no idea that there was a Bourbon Trail, but I guess that it makes sense. Hope you get to go an adventure soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely want to do a PNW road trip. I also want to do a New Mexico/AZ road trip! Those are my next two destinations in the US I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CA and New Orleans would be awesome. I've never been to either. I've never been to ANY of these actually! lol

    ReplyDelete