Saturday I was up and out early to meet mom and head out to City Island. City Island is an island off of the Bronx which is known for their outstanding seafood and harbor views. Honestly, I think we went to the wrong part of town because the part we saw most was really run down. Other than from the bridge, the only other "harbor view" we saw was when we snuck onto a marina "for members only" through a back parking lot. (I should note that I didn't want to do this, and was told "You can't be my daughter; where is your sense of adventure?!")
I also need to stop getting kicked out of places. I mentioned here that a group of us got kicked out of a bar/off a beach. This weekend, my mom and I got kicked out of a restaurant. What had happened was....
We picked the only place on that side of the island with outdoor seating, since it was gorgeous out. We ordered drinks, and they brought out this bread/cheese platter. We took one look at the menu and decided they were completely overpriced. (I wanted a lobster roll, which was $30. They're cheaper in New England. Hell to the no). Since we had already ordered drinks we decided we'd just have that, no food, to be polite, and go eat elsewhere.
A word before I continue: my mom does not go away easily or quietly. Ever. My personal embarrassment be damned.
First, the hostess (NOT our waiter), comes out and states that if we are just having drinks, we have to go inside to the bar, because "outdoor seating was limited, and drinks would take at least an hour." Mind you, there was plenty of open outdoor seating, and no line. I'm already mad that their lobster rolls are overpriced and I'm hungry. I was like "We ordered beer! It doesn't take an hour to drink a beer, plus, there's plenty of seating!" My mom further explained that we had never been there before, we didn't know that, but if that's the case, we'd go. The hostess relays the message to "her boss," who then decides okay, we can stay. Then she comes back and TAKES AWAY THE BREAD/CHEESE PLATTER, which my mom had already started noshing on while we waited over 10 minutes for them to open a damn bottle of beer, which we never got btw. "This is for dinner guests only." Cue rage.
We left, but not without a few words from my mom to both the hostess and the waiter who took so damn long with our drinks.
Then we headed over to The Lobster House on the other side of the island where the outdoor seating was actually on the water (not on the side of the road like the other place), the staff was friendly and quick, and the food was not overpriced, and absolutely delicious. I had the shrimp scampi; I don't think I've ever seen such large shrimps before.
![]() |
| garlic bread, antipasti, and shrimp scampi- *nom* |
On Sunday, Blue and I headed to the NY Renaissance Faire. I try to go every year, and it never disappoints. We didn't wind up seeing the jousting this year because we headed in and out fairly early, but we saw a few shows, drank some mead and ate some steak on a stick, and bought some stuffs at the vendors around, so I'd say it was a very successful outing!
![]() |
| The "castle," William Shakespeare comedy/variety show, and some people in costume |
![]() |
| Taking pictures of other people's food, and a new "exhibit"- the Scandinavian village |
I think the people watching is my favorite part of this event. Some people dress up and go all out, which is awesome. It's not something I partake in, but I do love their costumes. I tried on a corset for the first time- those things are like torture devices. They also had these new exhibit which was a replication of a Scandinavian village. The people come in every weekend and literally live there. They had to make their own tents, cut all the wood, clear the space, etc. Everything you see was made by hand, and true to the time period. It was really cool, and the people were so nice!
Take-Aways:
Fridays are for relaxing.
Do NOT go to Sammy's Shrimp Box.
DO go to The Lobster House
If you treat me poorly, I will slam you on social media and Yelp. You've been warned.
GO to the NY Ren Faire, if for nothing else than the awesome people-watching. Here's a coupon too.
How was your weekend?
Linking up with Biana at B Loved Boston for Weekending







I'm a huge fan of Friday nights in. Haha I love that your mom asked where your sense of adventure was. So funny. Ugh what an awful experience at that first restaurant! The food at the second one looks delicious though! I've never been to a Renaissance fair. I went to one of those shows with knights and jousting once though, it was fun!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletewhen i worked, friday nights were always lazy nights. then again, every night is a lazy night but whatever :D. i have not been to a bar (nor do i want to go to one) in years and when someone suggests drinks, if that time is past 6pm, i ain't going!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely hate having plans on Friday nights.
ReplyDeleteWhat is up with you hitting the spots with the shitty service?
Renn Faire!!! I didn't know there was one in NY. I've been to the PA Renn Faire and the one in MD. So much fun. I go in costume (no corset, though, eff that!) because it's A) Festive and B) More of the characters talk to you when you're dressed up because they know you'll play along. Good stuff. Sorry you're continuing your getting-kicked-out-of-places streak!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe they took the bread away! How rude!!! I would never go back there.
ReplyDelete