Monday, March 28, 2016

How I Do: Grocery Shopping

Back in February during the Wallet Watch, I successfully spent less than $60 on groceries for the entire month. A few people asked how I did it, so today I'm pulling open the cupboards and sharing my grocery tips. 

1. Know what you already have
I take stock of what's in my refrigerator and pantry before I go to the grocery store or attempt to meal plan. 
Don't judge my Ragu- pasta sauce is good to have on hand in a pinch!
2. Make A List
I keep a running grocery list on my refrigerator, and update as I go. As soon as I run out of something, I write it down so I don't forget. 

3. Check the Store Circular
Does anyone even look at these anymore? I look at it online. If I see things I would normally buy on sale, I buy it now, even if I haven't run out of it completely yet. 


4. Coupons! 
I love coupons. I try to make sure to buy the newspaper every Sunday and cut out coupons for myself and Blue. I also save digital coupons on to my loyalty cards at my grocery store, CVS, Rite Aid, etc. One thing I keep in mind though: I don't cut coupons/buy products that I wouldn't normally buy or use just because I have a coupon. That's a waste of money. 
Restaurant coupons, my coupons, Blue coupons

5. Get Cash Back Using Ibotta
Ibotta is a savings/cash back app. Unlock rebates on products by answering a poll, watching a minute long video, or reading a tip/recipe. If you purchase the products, scan the barcode and then take a pic of your receipt to get your rebate within 48 hours. Or you can get cash back by simply linking your loyalty card if you shop at their preferred partners. You can either request cash back through Paypal ($20.00 min) or to purchase a gift card to stores like Amazon, Best Buy, Sephora, and more. Use my referral link to get $10 after you join and make your first purchase :) (not sponsored- I just really like this app!)

Screenshot from my phone

Other Helpful Tips: 
6. Don't go to the store hungry.
7. Limit your shopping trips- I go once a week or less.
8. Meal plan- save time AND money! 
9. Sunday morning is possibly the busiest time to shop, and I'm not a fan of crowds or being rushed, especially if I'm using coupons- I don't want to be "that" person! I go on Tuesday or Thursday evenings. 
10. Check out your local farmer's markets for cheaper (and oftentimes better quality) fresh produce. 


What strategies do you use to save on groceries? 

6 comments:

  1. I need to get better at using coupons. But it's always so difficult for me because I have a lot of food allergies, so I have to buy specific brands, I can't just jump around and buy brands that I have coupons for. But I do think that if I did more meal planning it would help. I'm so bad about that.
    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get better about Ibotta!!! I clip coupons, use cartwheel, etc so that always helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to the store hungry is the WORST.

    I do best saving time/money/etc when I order my groceries. I try to do that twice a month and supplement my produce or dairy at Aldi or Produce Junction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so bad about this. I make very little effort to save money on groceries. I do occasionally use the Safeway app for coupons, but other than that it's just whatever I feel like picking up.

    Crowded grocery stores are the worst! I stopped shopping at Walmart because I feel like they are always crowded, no matter what day or time you go. Plus Safeway smells better. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! I always make sure Ive eaten before grocery shopping. Ive also never heard of Ibotta, I may just check that out, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I guess a good tip would be to NOT go to Trader Joe's every week for flowers and walk away with everything else in the store too?

    I'm so excited for farmers market season!

    ReplyDelete