Thursday, December 10, 2015

32 Things Learned on the Way to 32

My 32nd birthday is on Saturday. Birthdays always make me reflect on the year that has passed, where I've been, what I've done, and where I'm going or want to go. Lately, I've also been thinking a lot about what "life things" I've learned so far. Though I'm still making  mistakes and learning every day, (and there's a lot more that didn't make the list), I've decided to share some of the funny and some serious things I've learned and know for sure.

1. Travel. As often as humanly possible.

But you’re still feeling a whole lot of *uncertainty* and *sadness* and *insecurity* and *but-how-do-I-use-fabric-softener?* | 39 Feelings Everyone Has During The First Week Of College

2. Have opinions, but for a reason. Know the facts about what you believe in, and not just what’s “popular” or “trendy” to believe in. "If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything." 

3. It's ok to say "no" when you feel like it.

master of none gif - Google Search

4.Trust your gut. It's usually right. 

5. Real books are better than e-books. But e-books are easier to tote around/carry.

6. Be yourself. (Everyone else is taken.) Don’t try to be someone you’re not

Friday Favorites - How Is It Mid November Already?

7. But also... get out of your comfort zone. Be open to trying new things.

new girl

8. Don't mess around with Ouija boards. (Especially not while drinking.)

9. Budget. Save. Invest your money when you can. But pay your bills first.

10. FOMO is real. You know what's a good cure? Get off the internet!

When Danny tried to understand social media: | 20 Times "The Mindy Project" Just Totally Got You

11. Canola oil is not the same as vegetable oil- do not substitute one for the other.

12. Not all cheap wine is bad, and not all expensive wine is good. Find your favorites. Drink whatever you like.
You can fake wine knowledge pretty easily. | 23 Excellent Reasons To Drink More Wine


13. Invest in proper footwear, comfy underwear, and your health.

14. Speaking of which, go to Dr. appointments. (Yes, even the dreaded dentist.) Good health is important, and something you can't get back once it's gone.


15. Unless you want to wind up with a bunch of unhealthy, easy to make food, don't go to the grocery store hungry.

16. Apologize. And learn to forgive yourself and others. No one is perfect.

17. Live alone, at least once in your life. I learned so many things about myself, became completely self-reliant, and learned to appreciate my alone time even more.

You get a huge bed, just for one, all the time. All the time! | 25 Totally Underrated Things About Being A Single Girl

18. Tip your servers, especially when you're in a group and especially bartenders (just trust me on this one).

19. Let go of anything or anyone that doesn’t positively influence your life or bring you joy/happiness. Be selective. 
When Mindy dropped some major dating truth bombs: | 20 Times "The Mindy Project" Just Totally Got You

20. Just because something still fits doesn’t mean you should still wear it.

21. Allow yourself to love. Even if you’ve had your heart broken before.

In Love | 34 "Elf" Quotes That Never Get Old

22. Always carry cash. Even if you have to hide it from yourself in a pocket of a wallet.

23. Give to others whenever you can. Donate. Volunteer. And remember that sometimes time> money. 
katy perry animated GIF

24. Have a hobby. It makes you more interesting and adds to your life.

25. There is no such thing as going out for “just one drink.”

26. Have dreams. Have Goals. Reach for them. "Learn from the past, focus on today, dream about the future."
Community Post: Why Mindy Lahiri Is The Liz Lemon Replacement The World Needs

27. Be grateful for what you have. Appreciate both the big and little things in your life.

28. Never stop questioning and learning new things.

via GIPHY

29. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

30. Everyone has stress. Know what works best for you to destress/calm down.

love music
 
31. Embrace change. (I’m still working on this one.) But it’s true… "If you want things in your life to change, you are going to have to change things in your life"

32. Just like the 90's song said, wear sunscreen.





She knows when enough is enough: | Community Post: 29 Reasons You Wish Mindy Lahiri Was Your Big Sister
Mindy gets me. 


What are some life lessons you've learned? 
Linking up with Joey and Kristin!

Stuff, Things, etc.

7 comments:

  1. Visiting from Stuff & Things! I love reading lists like these, especially when they're written by someone a few years ahead of me in life! I definitely agree with a lot of your lessons, although I can't say I love travelling. I do enjoy exploring and visiting places close to home which has similar advantages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love this! The thing about clothing though is that you should wear whatever makes you happy. I mean just because some people don't think it looks good doesn't mean you don't feel sexy as hell right?? I am all keeping positivity in my life and letting go of negative anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to every single one of these!!! I turned 32 earlier this year, it is a good one :) Happy early Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2, 6, and 19 are my favorites!!! I wish I would've known them long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So important for there to be a reason behind the opinion! #2 is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good lessons here, all of them! How does it feel to be wise beyond your years? ;) Happy belated birthday, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love this list because I'm all yes, yes yes.... I still fall prey to #15 still. My mother is CONSTANTLY saying #20. I'm also still working on #22 which is so annoying. Oh #25.... I wish I could figure out a way to make the 1 drink thing a reality.

    ReplyDelete