Thursday, August 7, 2014

Framily Weekend

Obviously I needed until today to update from the weekend because it was fun, but exhausting! I took off from work on Friday and Monday because my godson (G Baby) and his mama/my bff came to stay with me from Puerto Rico. Can I just say- it's pretty hard to entertain a 6 year old for 2 1/2 days when you have less than zero experience doing so. It's also kind of hard to get around without a car in NJ when kids are involved, but we made it work!

Silly smiles
And of course, being that this was their first time visiting me, I wanted to make extra sure to show them a good time. So Friday night we went to Medieval Times. It was G Baby's first time and he LOVED it! The only thing he did not love was eating with his hands. "Why don't they have utensils here? I don't like getting dirty!" I was surprised because I thought little boys loved getting dirty, but apparently not this one. He really liked the horses and jousting, even though our Blue Knight didn't win. 

Go Blue Knight!
After the show, he was all "I wanna be a knight for Halloween!" and "I want a horse. Daddy will buy me a horse- Daddy will buy me whatever I want!" So of course we called Daddy, who was like "Umm, no? But I love you very much!" Luckily that was enough to satisfy G Baby for the rest of the night. 

Of course he needed a sword like the knights!

Saturday we were originally planning to go down the shore or to this Water Lab in Brooklyn, but there was the threat of rain. So instead we went to the Liberty Science Center. I thought G Baby's favorite part would be the Touch Tunnel, or the animals, but nope- he loved anything having to do with construction. Luckily, there were quite a few things for him to play with in the Skyscraper exhibit. 

Construction Junction

Before they came, the BFF told me that she wanted to G Baby to see a show on Broadway- specifically Wicked. But I've seen Wicked- it's a little too advanced for a 6 year old. So I was trying to get tickets for Aladdin or even The Lion King, but both were sold out. Not to be deterred, I kept searching. And so after spending the better part of the day running around the science center, we grabbed some food real quick and headed to the Izod Center in East Rutherford for Marvel Universe Live! If I thought I did well picking Medieval Times, I really hit it out of the ballpark with this show. He was sooooo excited. He got to see his favorite superheroes (Spider-man and Wolverine) join up with all the others to "fight the bad guys," whom he also recognized. It wasn't too bad for adults either- there were some cool tricks. But mostly just seeing this little guy's face light up was the best part of the entire weekend. 

At the show, discovering where he was from the program guy, and a blurry shot of the show
Unfortunately, they had to leave by noon on Sunday to attend a baptism in another part of NJ. It was weird, but my apartment seemed so quiet and lonely as soon as they left. I almost never feel lonely in my apt. I didn't think that having a 6 year old running around or watching Sponge Bob or TMNT or playing with whatever knickknacks I have laying around for just two days would make it seem to empty when he left. 

I only had a few hours to fret over it though, because I had to get to Barclay's Center in BK to meet some friends for Cirque du Soleil's Varekai. I swear, I've seen about five different ones, and they never fail to amaze me. My favorite part was the aerials. I lost count of how many times I literally gasped. I don't know how they do it, but I'll definitely go every chance I get!



How was your weekend? What have I missed in these parts?

3 comments:

  1. I'm taking my niece and nephew on Sunday to the Marvel show! Kind of excited to see their faces because they have no idea where we are taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys packed a lot of fun into your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad the visit was a success! Did you see her when you went to PR the last time?

    ReplyDelete