Tuesday, October 8, 2019

September Reads




First of all, CONGRATS to Steph and Jana on their FIFTH year anniversary hosting this link-up! That's amazing, and I'm so happy to have been participating since the beginning and that it's still so popular- definitely my most anticipated link-up of the month! In honor of this milestone, their giving away more books! So be sure to check them out here and here if you haven't already! 

As for me, I had a pretty great reading month. Not only that, but I finished my Goodreads goal! Huzzah! 


I also finished Erin's Reading Challenge 11.0, and started the Bonus Round! Not sure I'll get through this round, but I'm happy to have finished the original challenge, and having fun attempting the bonus.

Image may contain: text

And (icymi) I met my favorite YA author, Rainbow Rowell, at the launch party for her latest book, Wayward Son, the second in her Simon Snow series (yes I said series... #3 is in the works and she recently said that she's not letting go of Simon and Baz anytime soon!)!


So yeah, I'd say I had a pretty great reading month indeed! Here's what I read...

The Tattooist of Auschwitz- Heather Morris: 5 Stars
library hardback


Image result for the tattooist of auschwitz

I don't like historical fiction, particularly not WWII stories, but I do like memoirs and books based on true stories. I've seen some mixed reviews for this one, and I get some of it- the writing was a bit "simplistic." But I think this actually improved the story, as nothing was lost in flowery language or phrases. What a rollercoaster. Within a single page our main character is getting beaten senseless, to somehow escaping his torturer and laying in the grass with his love's head in his lap, promising that they'll both get out alive. Some of the scenes were extremely graphic and absolutely atrocious, which made the reading all the more difficult because it was true. It was a powerful story of survival, strength, endurance, and love. I particularly liked the ending where the author told the reader what happened afterwards not just with the main characters, but also some of the side characters, and I look forward to Morris' follow-up, Cilka's Journey. 

Pumpkinheads- Rainbow Rowell: 5 Stars

library paperback

Image result for pumpkinheads

As you may have already guessed, I'm incredibly biased but I adored this. It was sweet as candy corn and totally predictable, but I loved the graphic novel format and really just wish it was about 3 times longer. I read it in an hour! I also like how she was able to incorporate a non-white, non-straight, ballsy female lead so seamless into an Omaha, Nebraska farm. 

The Perfect Stranger- Megan Miranda: 4 Stars

Netgalley... lol
Image result for the perfect stranger

I'm lol'ing at the Netgalley part because this literally came out 2017 and that's when I received it, but just got around to reading it now. I've only read one other Miranda book (All The Missing Girls) and I liked this a lot more, probably because it followed a normal timeline. This had me suspecting everyone, especially the unreliable narrator, more than once. Definitely worth a read! 

Nine Women, One Dress- Jane L. Rosen: 4 Stars

library e-book
Image result for nine women, one dress

I think I rated this one a little high because I really went in with no expectations. Well, almost none- I expected it to be  a"fluff" read, and it was, but I really liked all of the women and each of their stories and motives with and without the dress (except for that super creep, but then she died and I wasn't sad about it!). 

Fangirl- Rainbow Rowell: 3 Stars

library e-book

Image result for fangirl

By far my biggest disappointment this month, and my least favorite Rainbow book thus far (I only have 2 left- Land Line and Wayward Son). It wasn't a bad story, but unlike the Nine Women, I had VERY HIGH expectations about this one. I've been wanting to read this for at least a year, but this came out in 2013. If you are unfamiliar with the story, it follows a "fangirl" (duh) who writes fan-fiction about the characters in a fictitious novel.  That part I'm fine with (though I didn't find her fan-fiction or the parts of the fictitious novel she was basing her fan-fic on were all that interesting- in fact, I think I skimmed most of them). 

Except it's currently 2019 and Rainbow wrote a REAL book about the SAME Simon and Baz characters and their magical school and relationship that I've already read (Carry On) and AHHHHHH that was so freaking confusing! I feel like if I had read this first, I would have enjoyed it way more.

Regardless, even though I felt that our MC Cath was a bit overwritten I liked the other characters, especially her roommate Reagan, and the relationship between Cath and her twin Wren, and the whole story behind their father. I couldn't relate to Cath's social anxiety, but I understood it and it felt very real, which made me appreciate it more. I couldn't understand how Levi was so extraordinarily patient with her, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I think my favorite moment of Cath's was standing up to Nick though, especially in front of others. It was a total "You Go, Girl!" moment. 

Bossypants- Tina Fey: 3 Stars

library e-book
Image result for bossypants

This was...fine. Her early and awkward beginnings were laugh-out-loud funny.  But as she got further into her career (and much more detail-oriented), I became less interested and she became way more... soap-box-y? I know that's not a real term, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean. Also, it probably would have helped if I had actually watched a single episode of 30 Rock. The way she went on (and on) about Alec Baldwin and including actual pieces of the script did nothing except bore me because it lacked context. 

Currently reading: Never Have I Ever- Joshilyn Jackson

What are you reading lately? 
Linking up with Steph and Jana! 

Life According to Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment