Looking for Alaska- John Green: 3 Stars
library e-book

This was my first John Green and I was disappointed. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but it wasn't this. Also, it was slow and boring, and I saw the ending from miles away. I found myself skimming, which is never a good sign. There were a few noteworthy quotes, but overall it was a dud. I feel like I may have liked this more if I read it when I was younger, but not as an adult.
"'You got a lifetime to mull over the Buddhist understanding of interconnectedness... But while you were looking out the window, you missed the chance to explore the equally interesting Buddhist belief in being present for every facet of your daily life, being truly present. Be present in this class. And then, when it's over, be present out there...'"
One Night at the Call Center- Chetan Bhagat: 3 Stars
Kindle Unlimited

I would not have found or picked this up if it hadn't been for Erin's Challenge category: book related to my job. I currently work as an IT User Support Specialist, and finding a book based on a customer service call center was not an easy feat! The prologue was absolutely terrible and I wished the author had left it out until I got to the very end, where I understood why it needed to be included. At first I found the characters to be extremely whiny and grating, and it wasn't until about halfway through that I felt myself actually engaged. Bhagat touched on some serious issues that I wished he had given more attention to, and there was a definite religious undertone/ending which usually isn't my jam but worked here.
(Unrelated: there is a trick mentioned and it cracked me up, mostly because I didn't think it would work. Open an MS Word document and type in =rand (200,99) and press enter.)
(Unrelated: there is a trick mentioned and it cracked me up, mostly because I didn't think it would work. Open an MS Word document and type in =rand (200,99) and press enter.)
"' I love you,' I said.'What? Why this now?''Because I love it when you stand up for something you feel for... I love it when you want to order the cheapest dishes only because I'm paying for them. I love the kohl in your eyes. I love that your eyes light up when you have gossip for me. I love it that you say you don't want dessert and then ask me to change mine so you can have half... I love it that you believe in me and are patient with my career..."
"'...to be really successful, you must face failure. You have to experience it, feel it, taste it, suffer it. Only then can you shine... For once you taste failure, you have no fear.You can take risks more easily. Then you don't want to snuggle in your comfort zone anymore- you are ready to fly. And success is about flying, not snuggling...'"Spoiler: They receive a call from God.
The Night Sister- Jennifer McMahon: 3.5 Stars
Netgalley

This has been on my Kindle since 2015. I feel like if I'd known this was a paranormal mystery, I would not have requested it because usually that genre is not my jam. I was instantly hooked since the story started with a main event and then restarted at the beginning, and I still had no idea it was a supernatural thriller until I was at 40% through it (and then I nearly through my e-reader across the room because I felt like I'd been duped). Once I got over that though, I really got into it, and it kept me turning the pages way past my bedtime. I thought I'd be confused with the flashbacks and the multiple points of view, but somehow it totally worked and just made the story more intense. I like that it was "horror" but not gory or gruesome, and the writing was strong and creative.
Dumplin'- Julie Murphy: 3 Stars
library e-book

Another one that everyone loved and talked about and that I had high expectations for that just fell flat for me. Though it had a strong premise, I found Willowdean (or "Will" as only certain people can call her) to be an asshole. I mean, she skinny-shames her best friend. I feel the "important, body-positive message" was completely lost here. Also, she completely led poor Mitch on. I liked Mitch and she was a grade-A jerk to him. Sorry not sorry, but I have nothing but negative feelings toward this one. All of that being said though, I will watch the movie and read Puddin' and hope that it gets better.
"'...I've been real lost without her. Like, she was this compass I didn't even know I had.' '...There's nothing good about losing someone,' she says. 'But maybe Lucy wasn't meant to be your compass forever. Maybe she was there for you just long enough so you could be your own compass and find your own way.'" (p 327)
"I don't know when, but a really long time ago, I decided who I want to be. And I've been acting like her- whoever she is- since. But I think the act is fading, and I don't know if I like the person I am beneath it all. I wish there were some kind of magic words that could bridge the gap between the person I am and the one I wish I could be. Becuase the whole fake it till you make it thing? It's not working for me. (p 368)
Alex, Approximately- Jenn Bennett: 3 Stars
library hardback

This was a cute little YA. Pretty cheesy, a bit juvenile at times, but overall sweet. I only got annoyed that they didn't figure it out sooner because there were multiple times where they could have, but just weren't really paying attention. I saw someone mention that this was like a YA version of You've Got Mail and completely agree.
"If I were a museum guest and had several hours to waste, I'd be thrilled. Total eyecandy everywhere. But knowing I was supposed to memorize this? Headache city."Going Up- Tawna Fenske: 3 Stars
Netgalley

This was a quick, predictable and sweet rom-com. This book is actually supposed to be in motion but my version didn't have that part, not that that took away from it by any means. I especially liked the hilarious dialogue.
The Grownup- Gillian Flynn: 4 Stars
library e-book

What a crazy little ghost story! I read this in a lunch hour. It was super creepy and just what I'd expect from Gillian Flynn, and now I want another full novel from her!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I'm happy to report that I've FINISHED Erin's Reading challenge 9.0! I changed 8/10 books, but luckily there's no penalty for that (other than possibly annoying the admins... sorry guys!)*(5 points) Freebie – Read a book that is at least 200 pages: Smothered- Autumn Chiklis
*(10 points) Read a book that starts with the letter “N”: Not Perfect- Elizabeth LaBan
(10 points) Read a book that has a (mostly) orange cover: This Is How It Always Is- Laurie Frankel
(15 points) Read a book with an unlikeable character: Dumplin'- Julie Murphy
*(20 points) Read a book from the list of 100 books that PBS calls “The Great American Read”: Looking for Alaska- John Green
*(20 points) Read a book with something related to water in the title: The Flood Girls- Richard Fifield
*(25 points) Read a book you've owned the longest but haven’t read yet: The Night Sister- Jennifer McMahon
*(30 points) Read a book with an emotion word in the title: Hopeless- Colleen Hoover
*(30 points) Read a book where each word in the title of the book begins with the same letter: Alex, Approximately- Jenn Bennett
*(35 points) Read a book featuring a character who shares your profession or similar one:
One Night at the Call Center- Chetan Bhagat
Currently reading: A Room With a View- E. M. Forester
What are you reading lately?
Linking up with Steph and Jana!

No comments:
Post a Comment