Last weekend my mom wanted to go to the beach one last time, so we hopped on a train and headed down the shore to Pt. Pleasant Beach. Upon exiting the train, we were met with several cops telling us to turn around, go back on the next train, the boardwalk and the town were closed. "You can try to enter, but you'll get about a block before you see more cops and police barricades telling you the same thing." Of course my mom is not one to just listen to what she's told, so she pressed the cops (who were not sharing any information about why everything was suddenly closed down) before we decided to just have lunch at the diner across form the train station. It was there that we heard the news- a bomb, that was connected to at least two others, had detonated two towns over along the route of the Seaside Semper Five Marine Corps Charity 5K. As a result, the towns of Seaside Park, Pt. Pleasant Beach and Belmar had been evacuated and all cars and people were being rerouted. We had our lunch and headed back to my apartment. As the news was released, police were saying that because of others who saw and said something, they were able to prepare and start evacuating people so that there were no injuries in this occurrence and the subsequent ones.
- Danger is hitting waaay too close to home.
Later that night after my mom returned home, there was news of another pipe bomb in the Chelsea area of NYC. My mom texted me, "So the explosion was in a dumpster outside the building for the blind that we delivered food to this morning- I delivered to a different building." (She volunteers at a church that prepares and delivers food to those in need every Saturday morning.)
On Sunday night, another bomb was found near a train station 30 min away from me. 3 bombs all somewhere in the vicinity of where I was in the NJ/NYC area? This just added to my already growing anxiety, especially since I take the train every single day. Suddenly it was Monday morning and Blue was warning me to stay away from garbage cans and keep my eyes and ears open while commuting to work.
- Carry an external battery on longer road trips.
The cops were tight-lipped about the entire situation. The only way I was able to get the facts minute by minute as they were released was through my phone. I received an external battery for my phone last year, and was lucky to have had it charged it and brought it with me on this trip because my phone was losing juice rapidly. If you're going on a road trip or concert/event where there may not be charging stations readily available, I highly suggest bringing an external battery. You just never know when it may become necessary, and it's always better to be prepared!
This post became much heavier than I had intended. I guess what I'm trying to say is just to be aware of your surroundings, be prepared, and trust your instincts. Don't be afraid to say something if something doesn't seem right to you because in most cases, if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
What are some things you learned recently?
This weekend was such a scary one. Too many things were just too close. I'm so, so happy you guys didn't get there any earlier and nothing worse happened while you were down the shore. I was relieved that I didn't hear about the Elizabeth one until after I sent David on the train to work Monday morning, or else I probably wouldn't have let him out of my car.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree—your instincts flare up for a reason. I believe in trusting my gut. The worst that can happen, usually, is that you're TOO cautious. And today, I'd rather be too cautious than not enough.
Hearing the news of all of those bombs was so scary, but I can't even imagine if I had lived over there. I'm so glad you and your mom are okay and that, miraculously, no one was killed. I feel like I always have my guard up when I'm in public places now. Now I will definitely take 'see something, say something' to heart.
ReplyDeleteI had heard about the bombs in NJ and NYC and that is very scary!!! When I lived in Atlanta, I was always nervous about being so close to the CDC and just being in a bigger city in general. More reasons for someone to attack I guess? Hopefully things will calm down. People are crazy!
ReplyDeleteThat's terrible. It's so hard to fathom why people would even want to hurt random strangers. We lived near Baltimore when there were those bomb-in-a-bottle things going on and I was too scared to pick up trash.
ReplyDeleteAll of the terror attacks hit WAY to close to home. Fortunately, I never left the couch (sick post-Mexico) but it's still scary. I'm in/out of the city every day. Glad you guys were safe.
ReplyDeleteoh hun. i am so sorry this is so close for you. i am glad the cops were there and could turn you all around, and you were safe. i always hope if there was a situation like this that i would trust my instincts or be aware of my surroundings. i'd rather be too cautious, that's for sure.
ReplyDeletethe external battery is great for travelling.. but you make a good point for carrying it as an everyday thing as well.
All great lessons to be reminded of.
ReplyDeleteAn external battery is a great tip. I need to get one of those.
There was a hostage situation in Sydney a year and a half ago. I was only blocks from it (walking away from it) as I saw two different police officers running towards it. Then, I got a text from my husband that said "come back to the shop" and "don't talk to anyone". When the guy first went into the café, he had some hostages hold up (what was thought to be) an ISIS flag. This café was located near the American embassy. So, my husband thought maybe it was connected to attacking the American embassy and didn't want anyone to hear my American accent. It was just a small personal moment of panic, but yes, when it hits close to home, it feels all the more personal and real. I'm glad you and your loved ones are safe.
Wow, that's just really scary that everything is happening around you. I am glad that you & yours are safe though. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI always have an external battery with me! For many reasons. That's one of them.
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys are safe.