Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Cure to the Sickies

I wish I could tell you how awesome my weekend was, but it wasn't. I was sick. I had grand plans to Fall Out in my plaid and boots and go apple picking and wine tasting with friends that I had to cancel because I was too tired to move. I knew the smart thing to do was to stay home and try to recover rather than push myself to continue with my plans and probably infect my friends which just isn't very nice. The only saving grace was that I started getting sick on Thursday, I gave myself the option to only work a half day on Friday, and I had the weekend to lay low and try to recover.

I wish I could tell you that I wasn't being an a-hole to poor Blue who informed me that everyone else was apple picking, but that would be a lie (sorry Blue). She was happy we didn't go because it was a madhouse in the orchards with all the crowds. I was a brat suffering from FOMO (which I've recently concluded is a real thing) and I was pissed that it was such a beautiful fall day and I was stuck inside. I didn't want to read because my eyes were heavy and my brain was fuzzy from all the Dayquil I was taking. I couldn't even nap because I was so congested that I could barely breathe. So instead we watched The Gift (which isn't even on my Fall Film Challenge list) followed by a binge on Veep. (Have you guys watched Veep? This was my first time and I love it!)

So like I said, I started getting sick on Thursday. My sicknesses always start with a sore throat. I really like this Chloraseptic Max throat spray with coating. It numbs the pain for several hours, meaning I can eat and drink like a normal person for at least a little while. And the nozzle is great because I can actually reach the back of my throat where the pain is instead of numbing my entire mouth.


I also needed to restock my tissue supply, so I got these Puffs Plus Lotion with the scent of Vicks. I'm usually a Kleenex girl, but I didn't understand the point of "Cool Touch" and I liked that these had lotion. No need to look like Rudolph just because I have a cold. These things are no joke. That eucalyptus smell  alone almost cleared me up completely.

Puffs Plus Lotion With The Scent of Vicks Facial Tissues, 1 Cube, 48 Tissues per Box

The land of "They" says you should never mix drugs and booze. While I mostly agree, I also wouldn't turn my nose up at my great aunts' cure for illness: alcohol. One of them suggested tequila shots. I tried that a few years ago with no success. An older coworker swears by blackberry brandy. Something about the antioxidants released from the blackberries and the alcohol killing germs helping to knock out the cold. I think I also tried this a few years ago, and I think it worked, but alas, I didn't have any brandy laying around my apartment. Instead I turned to an old standby: the hot toddy. Not only does it taste better, but it's warm, soothing, and helps you fall asleep. Basically it's tea with bourbon, honey, and lemon. Here's a recipe in case you're really interested. 



This post is in no way sponsored, I just wanted to share a few of my favorite sickie cures. 
Have any cures I should try? 

7 comments:

  1. Totally going to remember these things for the next time I'm sick! I very rarely get sick so I really have no tricks up my sleeve which means once I get sick...I'm pretty much screwed. Ha! The extent of my knowledge is like...Sudafed for a stuffed nose and Saltines for an upset stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh being sick is the worst! And its like the moment it hits you know you are doomed and you cant remember what it felt like to not get sick and you swear you will never take that feeling for granted again. I have the cool touch tissues right now and I like them but I will have to try those ones you had if I am more than allergy stuffy because that sounds wonderful! Hope you are feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you got so sick this weekend. Hope you're on the mend by now! I totally agree that a hot toddy just does the job; it's my first line of defense against sickness when I feel it coming on! I use Fireball and the cinnamon in the whiskey adds another layer of ass-kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks that you've been sick - feel better! My cures are all entirely based on what my mom did for us as kids: chicken noodle soup and weird herbal tea. And normally I chug Nyquil like there's no tomorrow, but that's a no-go for pregnant ladies (did you know it's like 10% alcohol? I had no clue!), so I had to content myself with Dayquil and Sudafed this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh bummer you were sick! i am normally a wallow in my sick sorrows and not do a thing when i am sick, but if i just have a sore throat, i put honey in sprite and microwave it, then stir it all up. it is the weirdest thing in the entire world and my ex boyfriend's mother is the one who made it for me first and i was like this is the most ridiculous thing and it won't work, and it has literally never failed me hahaha. but only when i just have a sore throat, if i have everything else, i just let the sickness take over my life and be a big baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you were sick over the weekend. FOMO is 100% a real thing & I suffer from it more than I care to admit. I normally buy Kleenex too but when I'm sick Puffs with Vicks are the shit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate being sick on a weekend. I hope you're feeling better!

    FOMO is totally real. I'm thankful that I'm not afflicted.

    I love elderberry extract as both a cure and a preventative.

    ReplyDelete