Thursday, September 29, 2016

Spending Freeze Outcome

At the beginning of the month, I mentioned that I would be on a spending freeze for September. Let's see how I did, shall we? 



Date of Infraction: 9/7
Amount: $95.50
What It Was: 2 4-pack movie tickets
Where: Goldstar
What Had Happened Was... I've bought these tickets in the past, and they are good for any movie, any time, any day, at any AMC theater, and they never expire. And you don't need to have 4 people in one movie outing; they send you 4 (or in my case 8) separate tickets, so it doesn't matter how many people are in your party. I already know there are two movies coming out that Blue and I want to see, so that's 4 tickets right there. But since they never expire, I figured why not buy more? Because you're on a spending freeze Dani....duh.  Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...


Date of Infraction: 9/8
Amount: $5
What It Was: Books!
Where: Shoprite (of all places)
What Had Happened Was... I went in for milk, and found a huge book sales. They had paperbacks for $1, hardcovers for $2, and so many books that have been on my TBR list. And one of my childhood favorites, Maniac Magee, which I knew I had to get. Obviously I could borrow most of these from my library, but it has ridiculous hours so I haven't been able to get there in months. I could buy them individually ooooor... fill a bag with as many as I could fit for $5. Boom.




Date of Infraction: 9/9 (3 days in a row! Stop!)
Amount: $172
What It Was: Stevie Nicks and The Pretenders tickets
Where: Ticketmaster
What Had Happened Was... Blue wants to go, which is rare. The last time she insisted on going to a concert it was her all-time favorite Bruce Springsteen, so I knew we were going if we got tickets. But on the day of the presale she was in meetings and couldn't get the tickets, so I did.

Grand Total: $272.50

And then... NOTHING! I mean, I had to re-up my supply of meds when I got sick, but I'm not counting that. There were a few DD days, but those were paid for using a gift card, so that also doesn't count. I was supposed to go apple picking/wine tasting, but I got sick, so I saved there for sure, and another night I was supposed to go to a happy hour, but friends cancelled. So while the total may be high, I still think I did pretty good considering that at least I didn't buy clothes or accessories. I've always said that if I'm going to spend, I'd rather spend on experiences, and while I spent a whopping $5 on books, I'd say I stuck to that pretty well this month! 


Do you prefer to spend on physical things or experiences? 


Stuff, Things, etc.

11 comments:

  1. I mean, the book haul just makes good sense. I love Summer Sisters, Me Before You, and Ellen's book, and I've always meant to read The Tipping Point. Good find!

    The total is high, but if the goal of a spending freeze is to limit mindless spending and be more thoughtful about purchases, you definitely succeeded there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have bought those books and the concert tickets in a second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sack full of books for $5 is justifiable! As are concert tickets...I shouldn't be spending either buuut Eric Church has a concert in Feb but presale sooo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i mean, i feel like everything makes sense! i would spend $5 on a bunch of books as well. i am trying not to shop or buy books right now because my library is pretty rad, but they don't have this one book i *really* want to read, and i don't want to spend $15 to buy it (it's brand new). i have a $10 gift card, which would make it $5 if i bought from target, but still. that's $5 for 1 book and you got a bunch of books.
    also, movie tickets and concert tickets make sense and all that. i mean, good for you for trying to go all out spending freeze, i guess my problem is more mindless spending and shopping. so i'm not mad about movie tickets or fun things like concert, but i am about 75 trips to the vending machine in one day. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did pretty good! You cant budget for concert tickets in advanced because you never know who is coming when and when the tickets become available you scoop that shit up!!! And books enhance the mind so like that is an investment. I can justify every infraction. Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the purchases were all very worthy! Plus, nothing from 9/8 until now??? Pretty spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer experiences over things, because things go out of style, break, take up space, and/or need dusting! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stevie Nicks is SO incredible in concert. I support that spend.
    And all those books for $5?!?! DUH! That's a no-brainer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too prefer to spend on experiences rather than things except when it comes to handbags. haha You did a great job. I too would have bought the books and the concert tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's impressive! I'm a nickel and dime spender: $8 here, $22 there...it adds up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did good! When you got to the concert tickets, I was like, "Ope,it's all over now" but even though that was a higher price, only 3 things is really good. And I totally agree that experiences are worth far more than stuff. Especially things that you can't just go do any ol' afternoon.

    ReplyDelete