Stargirl- Jerry Spinelli: 3 Stars
This had been sitting on my bookshelf for years, so I finally decided to give it a shot. I had heard that it was a YA classic, but that was about it. Jerry Spinelli's writing style is simple and straightforward, which made this an easy, quick read. "Stargirl" (one of the many names that she chose for herself) is the new girl at Mica High, and a complete non-conformist, which comes as a surprise to the rest of the tight-knit student body, who just see her as strange. It's her first year in public school; she had been home-schooled her whole life. However soon her antics become too much and instead of her peers just thinking that she's strange but okay, she's ostracized.
I found her innocence and naivety endearing, and the romance between her and Leo very sweet, until he pushes her too much to be "normal." She tries, but fails miserably, and loses herself in the process, until she decides to go back to the way she was. And of course she disappears just as quickly as she arrived, leaving Leo with pangs of regret for not loving her the way she was. There were some parts that were a bit too far-fetched, but many more that I could completely relate to, or would have if I was in high school. Also, the little wagon with the stones that represented her happiness level was an image I couldn't erase from my mind.
Trouble- Kate Christensen: 4 Stars
I picked this up on a whim at the library because I liked the cover. However I didn't expect to like it as much as I did based on the synopsis. In short, two 40-ish year old women go on vacation to escape their lives. Josie, a psychotherapist in NYC, suddenly realizes that her marriage is stale and needs a break from her family. Raquel, one of her best friends and a rock star, has a sex scandal and the media is after her. They dive into a two-week vacation full of food, drinks, weed, and sex with a group of up and coming artists and disillusioned expatriates. I loved Christensen's descriptions of the lush scenery, exotic food and drinks, and the people; mysterious and brooding David, electric and passionate Felipe, even Josie's insanely smart yet vapid tween daughter who does a complete 180. And the ending takes a dark, unexpected turn that was a total punch in the gut.
Many of the reviews I read didn't like it because it didn't "measure up" to some of Christensen's other works, but having never read anything from her before, I really enjoyed it. Great for a summer beach read.
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend- Katarina Bivald: 5 Stars
I should start by saying that I almost never give books 5 stars, but I absolutely adored this one. I love how stories and titles from many other books were mentioned or alluded to, and I loved Amy's letters to Sara were included and woven into the story at seemingly perfect intervals. It was like getting her POV without her physically being there, but her presence was very much felt throughout the story. I also loved how the town came together to help and protect Sara, who came in as a complete stranger and found her way into their hearts and small community. *This book was courtesy of Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.




I'm so happy to see your 5 star review of The Readers of Broken Wheel. I'm waiting for it from the library and cannot wait to read it!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try Trouble, sounds like something I'd like a lot!
ReplyDeleteOoh, the first and last ones sound good! Adding them to my list :)
ReplyDeleteTrouble and The Readers of Broken Wheel both sound like interesting reads!
ReplyDeleteI read Stargirl (I think) years ago. I owned it, anyway. I want to read it just so I can remember if I did or not!
ReplyDeleteI know we set personal goals for ourselves and have a tendency to be hard on ourselves...but I'm always a big cheerleader when it comes to books. I don't want negativity surrounded by reading. Even if you missed your goal by two, focus on how many books you did read. That's X amount more books read in the world, and that's a GOOD thing! Lecture over.
ReplyDeleteI've been in a reading rut too! These look really good though. And don't be too hard on yourself. Like Erin said, think of all the books you DID read. Your predicament is exactly why I'm not doing a reading challenge this year...I don't want reading to feel like a chore. I did set a number goal of books read though!
ReplyDeleteI'm adding "Trouble" and "Readers of the Broken Wheel" to my to-read list. They both sound great.
ReplyDeleteMy friend loved Readers of the Broken Wheel. Totally adding it to my reading list.
ReplyDeleteI read Stargirl awhile ago and was a big fan. I need to add those other ones to my list!
ReplyDeleteYou read some pretty great books! I haven't heard of Stargirl before. I'm adding all three to my list.
ReplyDelete