Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Club Friday: The Hobbit


This Week I'm Sharing...


From Goodreads:
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.Written for J.R.R. Tolkien’s own children, The Hobbit met with instant critical acclaim when it was first published in 1937. Now recognized as a timeless classic, this introduction to the hobbit Bilbo Baggins, the wizard Gandalf, Gollum, and the spectacular world of Middle-earth recounts of the adventures of a reluctant hero, a powerful and dangerous ring, and the cruel dragon Smaug the Magnificent. 


My Thoughts:

This book was recommended to me by C. I was wary of reading it, because he said it was really good but we have different tastes in books, and he is a complete nerd when it comes to anything having to do with LOTR (and Star Wars, but that's a tale for another day) (sorry hun!). But this wasn't as long as those (and I wanted to read it before the movie came out), so I gave it a shot. It was great! I was afraid it would be really drawn out, or the fight scenes would be a bit graphic, but they weren't at all! I loved how fast paced it was, and how I truly felt as if I was on an adventure with Bilbo. I'd seen all the LOTR movies, so it was so cool seeing where it all began, and how things unfolded. And it was funny! My favorite part was the riddles with Gollum. I could relate to Bilbo's skepticism about going on the journey, his self-doubt when he was with these dwarf warriors, and his sense of pride when he was successful. He was smart, cunning, and witty, even when he was afraid. 
Loved this book!


Source: gocomics.com via Dani on Pinterest


I also loved the movie- it stayed true to the book in so many ways, and I can;t wait for the next installments! P.S. Gollum is SOOOO creepy! Precious!


7 comments:

  1. I have heard so many great things about this book but I tried reading Lord of the Rings when I was a teenager and couldn't get into it so I assumed I wouldn't enjoy this one either. I do trust your taste though so perhaps I should give it a shot. Can't knock it til you try it right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you must read all of the LOTR books! I have them so just say the word :)-A Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Hobbit!! I couldn't get through the other LOTR books but I looooved this one and read it pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read the book. But I have loved all of the movies. It really is a book I'd love to read, so hopefully I can follow your lead and make that happen too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this book, read it for the first time in 5th grade. I have yet to see the movie though =-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now you know how the game of golf was invented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to actually read The Hobbit. I think I started in 6th grade, but never finished. I loved the first movie - so good. Gollum is one of my favorites. He's so creepy, he's cute!

    ReplyDelete