So 8 of me and C's nearest and dearest friends are getting married this year.
You read that correctly. We are going to 8 weddings.
So far, we have had no problems with 6 of these weddings. But one of them is in India, so we're just trying to save as much as we can so we can go. Because we both really REALLY want to go- it would be totally awesome. Plus it's both of our bffs getting married (and the two who got me and C together!), so we really want to be a part of their big day. Just gotta figure out the dollas.
The other one is where I am having a huge problem. I mean, if we literally can't afford to go to a wedding, that's one thing. But the problem with this other one is much more personal. Let me set up the scenario first:
Two of my friends from college, S+S (cute), are getting married. They are high school sweethearts, and have been together for over 8 years. I've known them both since my freshman year of college (they were both a year ahead of me). They are getting married Memorial Day Weekend. But not the Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday of the weekend...oh no, they are getting married that Monday. Ya know, when everyone has work the next day. And in Long Island...ya know, so everyone will be driving back from the Long Island beach spots that weekend, at the same time that their wedding ends.
In addition, they want their guests to try to come to all the pre-wedding events. They want us to join for drinks in Manhattan on Saturday night, the reception dinner in Queens on Sunday, and then both wedding ceremonies (one Catholic, one Hindu) and the reception on Monday. THAT IS 3 DIFFERENT CITIES (I would've said boroughs, but Long Island isn't even a borough).
Then they took it one step further: they want all of their college friends to choreograph and perform a group dance at their wedding. Now, this isn't so weird- it's a very normal Indian tradition for the friends to do a dance for the couple on their wedding day, and all of us were in an Indian dance troupe together. But we live all over the Northeast- it would be impossible to get together except for the day before the wedding.
But not to worry- they got a block of rooms at a hotel near the wedding venue. They didn't pay for the rooms, but they blocked them off. That alone is $110/night. Hooray.
To be continued....
Heyy I saw your comment on my blog! I can't believe we're going through like the same type of situation! I dont understand people sometimes, and why dont they think about other people!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your input. I'm def glad I stood by my bf and Ill keep up-to-date on my blog. hope your situation works out too
I know! It's crazy! I can see now how weddings can break up friendships- it's pretty sad really.
ReplyDeleteThanks, hope your situation gets better with your friend!