Friday, December 27, 2019

Favorite Books of 2019

Welcome back! I hope you all had a  very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or great general holiday season! While the year may not be quite over yet, I'm pretty sure none of these answers will change in the next 4 days. And since I can never answer the "best book you read all year" question, I decided to pick my faves in different categories. 


Best sequel you've read this year?
I don't believe I've read any sequels... clearly we're off to a great start! 

New release you haven't read yet, but want to?
Wayward Son- Rainbow Rowell



Most anticipated release for the second half of the year?
Children of Virtue and Vengeance- Tomi Adeyemi



Biggest disappointment?
I read quite a few disappointing books this year, but I had such high hopes for Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want To Come: One Introvert's Year of Saying Yes by Jessica Pan. Same goes for Bossypants by Tina Fey (an unpopular opinion I'm sure!). 



Biggest surprise?
I'm Not Dying With You Tonight- Kimberly Jones
Runner-up: Nine Women, One Dress- Jane L. Rosen



Favorite new author (debut or new to you)?
Christina Lauren!

Book that made you cry?
The Tattooist of Auschwitz- Heather Morris



Favorite book-to-film adaptation you saw this year?
The Art of Racing in the Rain- Garth Stein

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Most worthy of all the hoopla?

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows- Balli Kaur Jaswal

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows



Best non-fiction?

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search For The Golden State Killer- Michelle McNamara
Runner-up: The Little Book of Hygge- Meik Wiking

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer



Favorite book you read in 2019 by an author you’ve read previously?

Two Can Keep a Secret- Karen McManus
Runner-up: The Sun is Also a Star- Nicola Yoon

Two Can Keep a Secret



Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc.) 

The Silent Patient- Alex Michealides
Runner-up: The Girl He Used to Know- Tracey Garvis Graves

The Silent Patient



Book you can’t BELIEVE you waited until 2019 to read?

Long Way Down- Jason Reynolds
Runner-up: Flowers in the Attic- V.C. Andrews

Long Way Down



Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2019 (be it romantic, friendship, etc)?

Josh and Hazel from Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren
Runner-up: Deja and Josiah from Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell

Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not DatingPumpkinheads

------------------------------------------------------------


And, just because Goodreads tells me (and I like statistics), I've read 71 books this year across 19,047 pages, 10 of which were non-fiction. 8 were by authors I've read in previous years. 

The longest book I read in 2019 Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (483 pages) and the shortest was Zenith Man by Jennifer Haigh (23 pages). 


The first book I read in 2019 An Almost Perfect Christmas by Nina Stibbe, and the last will most likely be My True Love Gave To Me: 12 Holiday Romances since I started that the other night. 

I also included a few graphs (because I'm very visual person) on my male to female authors read ratio, the type of books read this year, and how many I read by month.




You can see my favorite books of 2018 here!
What were some of your favorite reads this year?
Linking up with Steph and Jana!


Life According to Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment