Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Show Us Your Books: December

It's the first SUYB of the new year- hooray! Unfortunately, I'm off to a slow start this year, but hopefully I'll find my reading mojo soon. Last year I'd set my Goodreads goal at 25, and wound up reading 53! So this year I've set my goal to 50. So far, I've read 1 lol. But it's still January! I'm also participating in Erin's latest reading challenge (further below), so that should definitely help! Here's what I've read since last time...


Almost Midnight: 2 Festive Short Stories- Rainbow Rowell: 4.5 Stars
library hard-back

Image result for almost midnight rainbow rowell

My love affair with Rainbow Rowell continues. This was 2 short stories by her, Almost Midnight and Kindred Spirits. I loved this. Almost Midnight was about two friends who meet every year on NYE for 4 years and how their relationship changes. Kindred Spirits was about a Star Wars fangirl who stands on line for the latest movie and the relationship she has with the others in line. This one fell a little short for me; I definitely wanted more. But overall it was a fast fluffy read, which is exactly what I was in the mood for. 

An Almost Perfect Christmas- Nina Stibbe: 2 Stars
library hard-back

Image result for an almost perfect christmas

This was supposed to be a humorous memoir. It was basically a collection of short essays. Parts of it did give me a chuckle, but overall it was just very British. Like, so British that the language often confused me and the references didn't work for me. And one of the essays, "A Christmas Lunch" I think it was called, didn't make any sense at all. It wasn't about Nina and I have no idea what happened at the end. I think had this been set in the U.S. or if I'd known ahead that the whole thing was set in England I would have enjoyed it more. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------

Image may contain: text

Here's my list! So excited to participate again!

•Freebie: The Adults- Caroline Hulse
•Made into a movie: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Douglas Adams
•Set in Europe: It Started With Paris- Cathy Kelly
•Newbery Award Winner/Honor Book: Long Way Down- Jason Reynolds
•A friend or family’s favorite: The Bookshop of Yesterdays - Amy Meyerson
•Published over 100 years ago: Little Women- Louisa May Alcott
•Six words in the title: The Benefits of Being An Octopus- Ann Braden
•Compass or cardinal direction in the title: Into The Beautiful North- Luis Alberto Urrea
•Originally published in a different language: P.S. From Paris- Marc Levy
•Begins with the letter N: Nine Perfect Strangers- Liane Moriarty



What are you reading lately?
Linking up with Steph and Jana!


Life According to Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment