Friday, January 12, 2018

10 Random Things About Me

It's the start of a new year, so I wanted to do a re-introduction of sorts, and what better way than sharing 10 random facts about myself? 



1. In high school, I wanted to change my name to Melanie.
I got tired of my name and felt it was too long (mind you, my middle name is only one letter shorter). So I tried to get everyone, including my teachers, to call me by my middle name. I gave it up when in biology class, my teacher called on me to give an answer and I got it wrong. He said, "You were smarter as Danielle." 

2. My favorite number is 12.
My birthday is 12/12 and I was my grandparents 12th grandchild. 

3. I learned how to ski and scuba dive because of an ex.
My first serious boyfriend in college was an avid skier and scuba diver, and I didn't know how to do either. After about two years of being together, he started inviting me on family vacations to places like Mont Tremblant and Bonaire. His mom paid for lessons for both so I could participate. Skiing went fine, but I didn't get my scuba certification because I freaked out in the lesson trying to clear my mask and gave up. 

4. I get obsessed with researching things easily.
I'm not sure exactly how to explain this well. I guess one example would be when I was searching for an ancestry kit for Christmas, and it took me nearly 6 hours trying going through the details of each service and product available to find the best one. Or getting lost on Pinterest trying to find recipes with ingredients I already have on hand or with minimal effort. I fall into the rabbit hole or get distracted and it can take hours for me to realize and dig myself out.

5. Also, I'm a planner. 
No, not the kind with washi tape and stickers (though I do use my paper planner daily) but things like travel or event plans. Give me a project where I can plan something and leave me to it. I'm really good at planning itineraries and paying attention to details and I love doing it! Related, I also love making lists (yes, even grocery lists). 

6. But I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up.
I'll probably write about this in detail at some later point, but for now I'll just say that I still don't know. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an architect until I learned how much math was involved and I hated math. Then I wanted to be a school psychologist or counselor and got my Bachelor's degree in Psychology, but didn't feel like getting my Master's right afterwards and soon realized I couldn't get very far in that field without one. I currently work as a User Support Specialist in IT and while I don't like it anymore, I don't know what I'd rather be doing either. 

7. I'm a pack rat.
A hard thing to admit in this age of minimalism! I save paper items more than anything, like greeting cards, old notebooks and journals, but I've also kept old t shirts from organizations I was a part of, a favorite risque halter from my clubbing days and the first pair of jeans my butt busted through. (There was a time in college when I was gaining weight rapidly and ripped 3-4 pairs of jeans in a row right in the backside. I was thrilled because I've always been underweight and was finally gaining.)

8. I don't want to own a home.
*gasp!* Isn't that part of the American Dream? I'm not interested. First of all, if something breaks, I have to fix it (or find and pay someone to fix it). Secondly, taxes in my area are off the charts. And third, I don't like feeling "stuck" anywhere. 

9. I haven't had cable in 4-ish years.
I cut it shortly after moving into my apartment to save money. I didn't have it as a kid growing up and I already had Hulu and Netflix so it wasn't a big deal. Now there are only a few shows I watch that are on cable channels but I use friends' accounts (because sharing is caring!). 

10. This video from 2003 still makes me laugh every single time I watch it, and I still say "I am le tired."  (Though with #45, the possibility of this actually happening is a little too much...)




Do we have anything in common? 
What are some random facts about you? 


12 comments:

  1. These posts are so fun! I really love lists too...my sister is a pretty great planner though, when it comes to trips, etc.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to save a ton of paper things, now I've portioned it down to an under the bed box.

    Same with planning details and itineraries and writing lists, even non-exciting ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell yeah, team don't wanna own a home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to learn more about you! I'm a total list maker too. We haven't had cable in about 5 years, and I don't miss it at all either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these lists! I am a planner and a pack rat too! And while I do like owning a home, sometimes I wish the problems and responsibilities were someone else's! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun answers! None of us really knows what we want to be when we grow up. Thanks for showing us interesting sides of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "You were smarter as Danielle." LOLOL! I wanted to change my name a few times as a kid. From Christina to Christine or Kristina. I was never very creative. Haha! I'm a planner and researcher too! I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either. I was a teacher then a paralegal and now that I'm about ready to reenter the workforce, I don't know what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fellow packrats, unite!

    I'm so with you on the research thing. I will end up researching tons of different aspects about things until I forget what I even started out searching for in the first place!

    I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either. I probably have grand plans written down...on a piece of paper somewhere...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quote that video all the time. I am le tired and wtf mate are staples in my daily conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, twelve really is your number, isn't it? I love it & I loved learning a lil bit more about you, sweet lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL half of those I was like SAME! That video will always kill me, I don't own a home, I am obsessed with researching things (& having the internet at my finger tips makes it worse), I am a freak about planning, & despite graduating college 6 years ago, & doing 3 semesters of grad school for something other than teaching I still have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. #8 is 1000% me. Owning a home does not appeal to me. Sire, it's MINE, but my desire to not feel "stuck" somewhere far outweighs it.

    ReplyDelete