Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Show Us Your Books- October

First thing's first- for the third(?) year in a row I participated in Erin's Reading Challenge and for the first time ever, I actually finished it! I started off strong, fell into a reading rut, but then pushed through until the end and I'm so glad I did! That being said, I do not believe I'll be participating in the next one. I felt a lot of pressure to read books that I wasn't really feeling just to check a category box and even though I love making lists and we were able to change our book picks throughout the challenge without losing points, the desire to finish gave me anxiety, particularly when I was in my rut. But the next one doesn't start until January, so maybe I'll change my mind by then. Either way, thank you Erin for being a great host! 

Second, I have this awesome list of books being released in 2018 (like you needed more recommendations to add to your list!). Without further ado, here's what I read last month!


East, West- Salman Rushdie: 3 Stars
Read if you like short stories that cross cultures
library hardback




Read this for cardinal direction in the title. I realized that I still don't like short stories, but I preferred the ones that took place East (India) far more than the ones set in the West (America). It was...fine.

The Hate U Give- Angie Thompson: 5 Stars

Read if you like relevant YA and strong characters
library paperback



Lauren had said to keep in mind that this was written for teenagers, and to manage your expectations accordingly. I completely agree and for what it was, it was amazing and so relevant, especially in today's world. I loved how realistic the characters were and the way the story was told. An important read, and one I highly recommend!



The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe- C.S. Lewis: 4 Stars

Read if you like YA Fantasy
library paperback


Read for animal on the cover. I remember my middle school music teacher recommending this book to me for years. I'm not sure why it took me so long to finally read it, but it was just wonderful. Definitely meant for a younger crowd, but I loved the fantasy and magic of it all. 



Currently trying to decide between The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond and Do This For Me by Eliza Kennedy.


What have you been reading lately?

Life According to Steph

10 comments:

  1. I didn't finish Erin's challenge. I get what you mean about the pressure, I like participating but I don't force myself. that's not fun. I agree about the hate u give. i really enjoyed it, though there were some things i didn't and i just figured those things were because i wasn't a teenager haha. i have both of those books on my kindle that you are trying to decide between - i say go with the marriage pact as do this for me doesn't come out for ages, right? i'm leaving it closer to the release date. well, that's what i'm telling myself anyway haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do This For Me is totally off the wall and requires a lot of suspension of belief, but it's not bad. The Marriage Pact is nuts, also in a good way.

    The Hate U Give should be required reading for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hate U Give, as I've told everyone, is spectacular. Everyone needs to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm the only one this month who didn't read The Hate U Give! I'm on the waiting list for it at the library so hopefully I can read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not finish Erin's challenge either. After I fell into a bad book slump, nothing appealed to me so I didn't force it. The Hate U Give is already on my TBR and I've heard so many great things about. I have never read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe but I've seen the movie and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about signing up for Erin's challenge but I started reading IT in August & I knew that it would take me forever to finish...well, I am still reading it & have about 400 pages left. Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to do the challenge but I just couldn't figure out books I really wanted to read for all the categories so I didn't. LOL Good job on finishing, but yeah, you don't want reading to be full of pressure all the time!!

    I hear great things about The Marriage Pact!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job finishing! I got close, and then lost interest in my reads.. and yeah.. the pressure! Glad you were able to finish this time. I got the Hate U Give from the library, but had to send it back faster than I could read it! :( Whomp, whomp. Will have to try again soon! :) I love the Narnia books! Xo - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved Hate U Give, read that last month too! I also read The Marriage Pact and it was super interesting and one I really couldn't put down so pick that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a different Salma Rushdie book on my books to read, but I keep putting it off, because I want to find it on an audiobook.

    ReplyDelete