The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry- Gabrielle Zevin: 5 Stars
Read if you like reading, books, romance and second chances
free Amazon Prime Reading
I picked this up because so many of you (SYUB folks) read and recommended it, so I'm not going into details about it. I very rarely give 5 stars, but this book completely deserves it. I loved everything about it- the books, the bookstore, the romance, the descriptions and writing style, and especially the characters. I related to something in almost all of them and some of them very much surprised me.
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love #1)- Jessica Park: 4 Stars
Read if you like YA, romance
free Amazon Prime Reading
I admit I picked this up because of the cover, and I'm glad I did. A cute, quick, albeit rather predictable love story. I loved all the characters, including Finn, but especially Celeste and all of her little quirks. I also really enjoyed the writing style and inclusion of IMs, emails, and FB status updates. I didn't realize this was a series until later, but I'm compelled to read the others.
The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood: 2 Stars
Read if you like classics, science fiction/dystopia, feminism, books to TV series
free Amazon Prime Reading
I motored through this novel and had SO MANY FEELINGS! I wanted to discuss with everyone who has ever read this. So why only 2 stars, you may ask? Because that ENDING. UGH. I was disappointed in the ambiguity of the ending. There were too many questions left unanswered. I am waiting until the TV series is over so I can binge watch it.
And that's it! Somewhat related, Erin's Book Challenge 7.0 starts July 1st. Last time I got thorough a little over half of it, but I'm going to try again. Come back Thursday to see what books I'm picking!
What have you been reading lately?




I judge books by their cover all the time! And I've hardly read anything but I did re-skim The Handmaid's Tale for a book club recently! I think I liked it better the 2nd time because I knew what the format would be and was prepared for the disappointing end. We debated in the book club whether we thought she escaped or was captured. One excellent point someone made was that why would her captors record her memoir if they were just going to kill her or send her to the colonies? They wouldn't want anyone to see that memoir later.
ReplyDeleteI want to watch the Handmaid show on TV! I love love loved AJ Fickry!!! I read it a year or two ago and I still think about it after the hundreds of books I have read since. FallOut Love sounds cute, may have to add it to my list!
ReplyDeleteI really really want to read The Storied Life - yay for five stars. I'm also curious about Flat Out Love.
ReplyDelete-Lauren
I did not enjoy the ending to The Handmaid's Tale, either. I'm curious to see how the show adaptation ends (the show is better than the book, I think).
ReplyDeleteAJ Fikry was one of my favorites of 2015 and I'm so glad so many people are reading it!
I enjoyed AJ Fikry back when I read it a year or so ago. Glad you did as well!
ReplyDeleteThe AJ Fikry book has been on my TBR forever and every time someone reviews it, I feel guilty. I have never seen a bad review and just simply need to read it! I have not yet read The Handmaid's Tale. It's going to be my pick for the banned book in Erin's Challenge. I did hear the ending was ambiguous before, which sometimes enrages me and sometimes I like. I'm complex like that. LOL! The flip side is that because it's open-ended is probably why we are getting a Season 2.
ReplyDeleteI bought Flat-Out Love for like a dollar years ago and still haven't read it. I need to move it up! I also kept meaning to read Handmaid's before I watched it, but I couldn't help myself. I'm going to read it when I'm done with the show though!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to read The Handmaid's Tale next month for Erin's challenge, so I'm disappointed it has a blah ending. I really need to read AJ Fikry soon!
ReplyDeleteHandmaid has haunted me for 20 years. I can't even watch the show.
ReplyDeleteYay Fikry!
I loved THe Storied Life of A.J. Fikry! One of my favorite books ever!
ReplyDeleteFlat-Out Love is one of may all-time favorite books. I've read it three times. No joke. Definitely check out Flat-Out Matt (which tells the same story, sort of, just from Matt's perspective) and Flat-Out Celeste.
ReplyDeleteI read The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry last year and LOVED it! It was delightful. I'm reading another one of Margaret Atwood's books right now, and really want to get to The Handmaid's Tale soon!
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to read The Handmaid's Tale. I have heard the show is amazing.
ReplyDeleteFlat Out Love sounds interesting especially since the reviewers on Goodreads seem to either love or hate it. The Handmaids Tale seems like one of those classics from a high school reading list. I have never read it, but I'm interested to know what it's about since the show is popular now.
ReplyDeleteAJ Fikry was on my list... but now it is climbing. Dang girl, 5 stars?! OK! hehe I haven't read The Handmaid's Tale yet either, glad I wasn't alone. :P I'm thinking I'll read it for Erin's 7.0 because it fits in several categories. :) XO - Alexandra
ReplyDeleteSimply Alexandra: My Favorite Things
wasn't Fikry just so amazing?! I loved that book so much. You should try A Man Called Ove if you haven't already, the get Beartown while you're at it :)
ReplyDelete