Friday was "deck beers night" with the Mountain Mamas. Apparently this is an annual summer girls night with Blue and "the Mamas"- a group of girls she's met in her complex that have become very close friends. There was lots of beer, snacks, CAH (which I won- woot!), and laughs. And I got initiated into the group even though I don't live there :)
![]() |
| my fave picture this year- so much happy |
On Sunday we were up bright and early to get ready for our trip down to Asbury Park, NJ. If you are from the area, you know that this part of the Shore was not the nicest a few years ago. However, it's quickly become a hot spot for Jersey Shore goers, and I can totally see why.
Our first spot was The Asbury, a new hotel where we were staying for the night. Before even arriving I loved everything about this spot. There was a pool with (free) cabanas and waitress service (not to mention huge flotation devices, such as the coveted swaaaaan), 24 hr food market/kitchen, and... be-still my beating heart... a beigarten complete with a food cart.
I would love to give this place a rave review, however, I cannot. First of all, it was so packed when we arrived that the only spot we could get by the pool was by the (unlit- thank whoever you pray to) firepit- directly in the sun. When we went to check out the (empty) beirgarten, we found that it wasn't open yet, including the food truck which was supposed to have opened an hour beforehand, and we were swarmed by biting flies. Not cool. In fact, the food truck never opened that day. First, they said it was "too hot" and then... nothing. The beirgarten wasn't supposed to open until nighttime, but there was a poolside bar, so we were still able to quench our thirst. After a 2 hour wait, we threw our stuff into the room and made out way to Wonder Bar.
Wonder Bar is an infamous bar and Asbury Park landmark. I don't really remember why, but I've definitely heard of it before. Anyway, it was dingy, dirty, and full of old people, but they did have a "Yappy Hour" dog park which is where we sat and enjoyed watching the dogs play until it was time for the concert.
We chose to stay at The Asbury in part because of its proximity to The Stone Pony. 2 blocks? Don't mind if we do! Traditionally, The Stone Pony is an indoor venue, however they recently expanded to include an outdoor section, which is where this concert was held. We went to go see The Go Go's Farewell Tour, mostly because it was cheap and we thought it would be fun. Which it was, and would have been more so if the venue wasn't a giant parking lot. I'm not kidding- they set up a stage on the parking lot adjacent to The Stone Pony, and had many beer tents, but only 2 that had food, and it was hot as Hades and there was absolutely no escape, not to mention absolutely nowhere to sit. We sought out AC inside The Stone Pony until the show started,watched for a bit, and left right before the finale, which actually sounded better outside the venue than it did inside, because the soundbar was in the back. Go figure.
When we got back to the hotel, I was hangry (the lines for the 2 food trucks were just too ridiculous). I was excited to get some fresh food, only to find that the aforementioned "24 hr diner" was more like a "24 hr pick up station"- there were only pre-packaged sandwiches to purchase. It was terrible, overpriced, and dry, not to mention the completely false advertising! On Monday we checked out the boardwalk, grabbed some iced coffee and sat people watching over the beach, and headed back.
where
How was you weekend?
When was the last time a hotel/venue didn't meet your expectations (positive or negative)?







Oh no! It sounds like a lot of things didn't go well on this trip! Yikes. I hope that you were able to make the most of it anyhow, and now you know! Hehe It's such a mixed bag with food trucks. On the one hand the food is usually really really good, and the experience is fun (different from a restaurant)... but they can be hard to find and also it tends to get popular very quickly. Which can mean waiting forever. I like to plan on it taking forever so I am not thrown off.. ha ha. But it can definitely be hard. I'm sorry that it didn't go the way you wanted, but I hope that you had an ok weekend anyhow. :) Good luck finding your new balance! It can be tough for sure!
ReplyDeleteXO - Alexandra
Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things
I hate being hangry!
ReplyDeleteTried to get into the Stone Pony twice just to have a goddamn beer and the doors were locked.
I do enjoy Asbury Park though. My friend's band plays at the Anchor's Bend.
Sounds like a super fantastic long weekend! Awhoo hoo!
ReplyDeleteI loved Stranger Things! & that quote - awesome! I liked the Sheriff but not as much as I liked Dustin, he was my favorite with his lil toothless lisp. :)
So Asbury Park looks like it would have been fun minus all the let downs you guys had. That stinks!! Hope your new position is going well :)
ReplyDeleteBeing a bit of a concert junkie, I've always wanted to go to the Stone Pony (but inside, not the parking lot version.)
ReplyDeleteI love the pic that you claim to be your fave all year. You are correct. So much happy!
ugh being hangry is the worst. sorry for all the dud things that happened, but that photo with all the heads makes up for it right? 'so much happy' i mean is there anything better lol
ReplyDeletesometimes you just gotta roll with the punches when things don't go as expected, right? i remember when we went on our first trip outside of canada when kayla was little and we paid OUT THE ASS for a fancy room and there were some things wrong with it but not what i expected since we paid so much. i FREAKED the hell out but after that, i calmed down and we made the best of it. turned out to be a great trip!
ReplyDeleteOh, how fun! Well, first--it's nice to be here and see another fellow Jersey-ite! I haven't been to Asbury since last summer, but my bf and I went to the tattoo convention which was amazing and had all kinds of spectacles. They really have cleaned up the beach areas, and it's so fun in the summer (and we keep saying we want to bring our pup to the Yappy Hour but have to wait til it cools down a bit). Thanks for the review of this hotel, though we have never overnighted there, it's good to know what's available.
ReplyDeleteI love CAH! Just played my first game and it was so much fun!
Hope you have a great weekend :)