Three weekends ago (I think? Something like that) was great. Saturday my friend and I attended the Global Citizen Festival (details soon!) and Sunday was spent with friends at an epic Sunday Funday. Then all hell broke lose. I'm blaming it on that whole Mercury in retrograde thing. And because I don't know how else to continue, I'm just going to make a list:
1. My Grandfather passed away on Sunday, September 28.
My family is very, very small. It was really only my grandpa, my mom, and me. I'm his first grandchild (now there is one more), the only one for 25 years, and the only girl. We were pretty close. My mom has 3 half siblings from my grandpa's side, but she's not close to them and I've only met one of them. And the one I met I don't like, because she's very conniving and sneaky. But that's a whole other post. I bawled. Like, in crouching position on the ground, bawling. The worst part was that that one sibling, E, called to tell me, and didn't have my mom's number. So I call my mom and tell her that her father passed away. That was definitely the hardest call of my life. She took the news surprisingly well- better than me in fact. No tears, no screaming, just acceptance. He's was quite old, and not sick at all. He had had 2 heart attacks, but that was at least 7 years ago, and he had been fine since. They said he passed painlessly in his sleep, with a small smile on his face.
I was able to fly into Puerto Rico for the services from Wednesday to Thursday night, but my mom couldn't come. My friend picked me up from the airport, we picked up her son (my Godson) from school and dropped him home, and then went straight to the other side of the island (~2 hours away). Well I was almost on time... except we got lost. There were 2 funeral homes with the same name within a 5 mi radius, and of course we went to the wrong ones. And then my friend parked in such a way that we got locked out of the car. the only way to get into her car is by unlocking the driver's side door- which she forgot about, and parked with the driver's side door flush against a wall. Unfortunately, I had to leave her there. I hopped in a cab and went to the wake, and the part with the Priest had just ended as I walked in. I was disappointed, obviously, but I know that my grandpa knew I tried so hard not to miss it. I was there, and that was what counted.
One of the hard parts of this was that E said that my grandpa wanted to be cremated, but couldn't until all of the siblings (including my mom) signed off on it. She faxed it to my mom, but being that he had never said anything like that to either one of us, so she was VERY weary of agreeing to it. In the end, she didn't sign, but she also didn't tell me before I got to the funeral home. So you can imagine my surprise when I walked out after paying my respects, and E approaching me with burial information. Her exact words were "Well, we have to since your mom wouldn't sign the paperwork." Luckily my flight wasn't until Thursday evening, so I was able to attend.
My grandpa was a Vietnam War veteran, so he was buried in the PR Veteran's Memorial site. E had given me some pictures and a glass cross that my grandpa had in his house, but the only thing my mom really wanted was the flag that covered the casket. She was adamant about it. Luckily, E didn't give me any shit when I told her. When the trumpet played, and after they handed me the flag, was the second time I broke down since hearing the news. Luckily my friend was there, since I really didn't "know" the rest of my family who was there.
I flew in Thursday night and, knowing the situation, my boss let me have off on Friday. But he still wanted to have my review over the phone, because HR needed it by a certain date, and he and I would have been out for the following 2 weeks. I prepared all morning, but we just had a hard time connecting (he was never at his desk!), and when we finally did connect he told me that he spoke to HR and due to the circumstances, they would accept my review later. I have it today.

3. Monday morning I realized my bank account had been hacked.
I had been watching every penny since the trip to PR was so unexpected, and my mom helped some. So I was quite surprised on Monday morning when I checked and realized it was overdrawn by almost $300. I looked at the pending transactions, and realized they were all fraudulent. I immediately called the bank and had them cut off my debit card, but they said I shouldn't close the account because the transactions were still pending. They also said I couldn't start filling out a fraud claim because the charges hadn't "hit" my account yet; they were still pending. Except they kept charging me overdraft fees.
So that was Monday. My paycheck usually comes in through direct deposit, and payday was Friday. Luckily I was able to open a new account, and get Payroll to cancel my direct deposit in time and receive a physical check. However, my bank told me they wouldn't cash it because I didn't have enough funds in my new account. Um.... WHAT? I am still waiting for that to be resolved.

4. Tuesday night I had my midterm for my first Grad class.
My mom suggested that I just tell the professor what happened and get an extension, but since it was open book and open notebook I decided to just take it that day. Fingers crossed I didn't fail.

5. Thursday night I broke up with my boyfriend.
This was completely pre-planned and premeditated. He has some anger issues, and honestly, I didn't want him to be at my apartment when I told him, for fear that he might break my stuff. So I told him over the phone, and later at night so he couldn't take a train over to my place (he lives 2 hours away and doesn't have a car). I had been wanting to for awhile, but I felt like I didn't have a real reason, other than "I'm just not that into you." The last straw was the night that I found out my grandpa passed away. Not only was he not supportive in any way/shape/form, he was actually a bigger douche than ever. He threw a tantrum about wanting to go home, and I didn't because um hello, I was upset, so I gave him my keys so he could go to my place. He took my keys and THREW THEM IN A ROOFTOP GUTTER. Which was just so ridiculous that I could hardly believe it happened. So I made him climb up and get them, but I knew right then I was done. The only reason I didn't do it then was because I had so much other stuff going on.

6. Sunday morning I was sent out to Denver for a work conference.
This was the best part- getting to leave town for a few days. Little did I know there was pre-assigned reading (that I hadn't done), and 2 tests at the end- one written, and one role-playing that was videotaped. If I pass though, I will get a certificate. But I won't know for at least another 5 days.



I am so so sorry for your loss and the dog pile on the rabbit of crap that went down during and since.
ReplyDeleteSending you and your mom many good thoughts.
As for the boyfriend, you're better off without him!
Good luck with the review.
Wow what a crazy week. So sorry about your grandfather but girl GOOD FOR YOU for getting rid of the BF!
ReplyDeleteI hardly know where to begin. I guess, first, I am so, so, so incredibly sorry for your loss. Even worse that it had to be such a tumultuous few days surrounding it. Wishing you luck with the review, peace with everything that's happened, and more happiness than ever now that you're free of that toxic relationship.
ReplyDeleteUgh. When it rains, it pours, huh? I hope your bank stuff gets sorted out and you find some peace with everything else.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness girl, life has been throwing you some curveballs! So terribly sorry to hear about the passing your grandpa. Even as our grandparents age, I don't think it's ever easy to accept the realization that they won't be around forever. And especially with everything else you've been battling. Proud of you for the boyfriend breakup though! Good for you for recognizing what you cannot put up with in a partner and dealing with it. I know that's tough. I hope things get better for you soon, and I know they will! XOXO
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, this is making me sad reading this whole post. First and foremost, so sorry about your grandpa's passing. That picture of the three of you is a nice memento.
ReplyDeletethe bank situation. i've been there before, and i don't understand why they keep charging over draft fees when there fradulent, and obviously over draft so why make you pay more!! makes me sick. just know, it will get straightened out.. this happened to me right before my trip to Mexico last year!
what kind of job has you fly out for a conference with a TEST?!?!? that is bonkers.
and wow, broke up with boyfriend? i can't believe this news, so sorry he turned out to be a D-Bag!!! what a JERK. no support whatsoever? i mean, what kind of person can you be to not even give you some kind of condolence, and then on top of that to throw your keys in the gutter? what is he 5? you're better off. good for you!
i hope you get a great grade on your performance review and midterm. hope you're doing better!
Oh my gosh! You poor thing. You have had so much going on. I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa first of all. That is so sad and I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteYour boyfriend. He came off as a little angry and not nice to you in some of your posts so I definitely think it's for the best. Can I just say something you might not have thought of? Change your locks for real.