On friday morning, I flew out to Los Angeles California. One of my close friends moved out to Silicon Valley back in May, but she was heading to a work conference in LA and invited me out, so I went.
She arrived several hours after me, so I waited/relaxed at one of the outdoor bars overlooking the pool. Once she did make it, we were both pretty tired, so we got some pizza and hung out for a bit before going to sleep. Being that I was leaving on Monday, we knew that we had a busy couple of days ahead of us.
 |
| patio livin |
 |
| one of my favorite shirts, and Stella |
Saturday morning we were up early. We got in a cab and went straight to Santa Monica Pier.
 |
| me and my Starbucks. I treated myself to one all 3 days |
 |
| I didn't realize this was the end point of Rt 66 |
 |
| excuse my finger |
 |
| landmark |
 |
| love this shot |
 |
| obviously slightly obsessed with the ferris wheel |
After the Pier, we headed down to the Promenade because we heard they had some cute shops and restaurants. However, it was basically like an outdoor mall- all of your regular stores like H&M and Express. The only cool thing about it was the random farmer's market we ran into. I tried pomegranate juice for the first time (gross) and garlic infused cheese (meh), and bought some blueberries, homemade SAGE honey (SO good), and all natural tee tree oil soap. I'm not a huge fan of farmer's markets in general, because they're usually overcrowded and I don't buy a whole lot of fruits/veggies, but I loved this one.
 |
| seen on the street- truth |
 |
| cool flowers at the farmer's market |
 |
| Lisa and I |
We also had lunch on the Promenade at a place called
Cabo Cantina. We had delicious sangrias and I tried fish tacos for the first time. I don't know why I've waited 30 years to try them. They were ah-mazing. So good that I ate them before snapping a pic #bloggerfail
Then we decided to walk to Venice Beach. They said it was about 1 1/2 mi, but in 90+ heat, it felt MUCH farther. On our way, we passed the apparent original location of Muscle Beach, and some street performers, where this guy was in the crowd, just chillin with his boa. Because, California?
 |
| not even kidding. and yes, it was alive and slithering around quite a bit |
The first thing we noticed about Venice Beach was the smell of pot. "Oh, we must be here." There were stands lining the sideway and all sorts of people, but mostly artists, stoners, street performers, and a few "normal" looking tourist types like us. I'm not gonna lie, I did not feel particularly safe there. We walked around for about an hour before feeling like we had enough.
 |
| upcycled transfortmer |
 |
| another upcycled creation of the Star Wars variety |
 |
| "artist" doing his thang with the change people left for him |
 |
| This guy freaked me out. And why is he above a CVS? I will never know |
We went back to the hotel and rested/recharged a bit before changing and heading to Sunset Blvd for some drinks and dinner. We were originally planning on trying to find a place to have drinks, eat and dance later, however, the very friendly concierge at the hotel told us that no such place existed on the Blvd. We could either have drinks/dinner in a bar, upscale drinks and dinner in a lounge, or go to a club.
I honestly don't remember the last time I went to a club. Though originally it sounded appealing (clubbing on Sunset Blvd? How could we not?), our old lady status caught up with us after dinner and we decided against it. Too much work- standing on line, paying cover charges, only to have to fight your way to the bar for overpriced drinks and onto the dance floor, to possibly be grinded on by um...anyone? No, thank you. So we grabbed wine and beer at a liquor store, went back and changed into PJs and brought our brown bags (yes literally) down to the pool where we hung out until we finished everything we had to drink. Hands down, my favorite part of the trip. I loved just catching up with Lisa.
 |
| watermelon martini |
 |
| ridiculously good lobster ravioli |
 |
this store, because who doesn't want mo'of me?!!
I just liked that the sign had my name in it |
I love the pics from the Santa Monica Pier. That looks like a nice day!
ReplyDeleteI'd say no to the club too.
UGH this makes me so jealous. I want to go to Santa Monica so bad! Great pics, glad you had a fun trip!
ReplyDeleteFun! I'd like to go there someday.
ReplyDeleteI've never been... I'm so jealous - you make it look/sound like a blast!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the Pier. I almost originally moved to LA when I came out to CA! It looks like you had a great time!
ReplyDeletecalifornia is on my list of places to visit. sadly, caribbean vacations ALWAYS win over them. these pictures look so beautiful, my favorite was the artist and making that huge sign out of all the coins!! did you or did you not feel safe in venice beach. the way i read it, i couldn't tell.
ReplyDelete