This week I'm sharing...
From Goodreads:
"It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond the world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it.
His only defense is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang."
My Thoughts (some spoilers):
This was a Book Club selection. I guess I should have read the description before I started reading it, because to say I was surprised would be an understatement. I started reading this before bed one night, and actually had nightmares! I didn't know it was about spirits and monsters and fantasy and such. Ursula seriously freaked me out, and the idea of a spirit taking human form and entering my life. The whole fire ball and worm scene made me squeamish. The idea of something sticking inside of me and attaching to my heart was unsettling to say the least.
I will say that it was well written. The imagery was extremely realistic (considering it was a fantasy), and I actually felt for all of the characters- I was brought into their world and understood them. My favorite was Lettie. I loved her voice, the fact that we never real know how old she is but she seems wise and wrodly. And I love her affection for the nameless narrator, and the way she tries to watch over him. I was not thrilled with the ending, but I could understand it. If you're into fantasy, I would recommend this book, just don't read it before bed!
“Monsters come in all shapes and sizes, Some of them are things people are scared of. Some of them are things that look like things people used to be scared of a long time ago. Sometimes monsters are things people should be scared of, but they aren't.”
---------------------------------------------------



I've got to get around to reading Neil Gaiman one of these days. I cheated and watched the 'Coraline' movie without reading the book first.
ReplyDeleteI haven't read this one but I am always worried when I don't read a description if the book is not going to be something I liked. Glad you still recommend the book even if it gave you nightmares
ReplyDeleteI still haven't read anything by Neil Gaiman, but from everything I've heard I think I'd really like him. I did love the movie Stardust which was based on one of his books, so that's at least a good start. Plus our book club is reading one of his in a few months, so I should finally have my chance!
ReplyDelete