
This week I'm sharing...
From GoodReads:
"Run with them. Or fear them--
Bagheera the Panther: A silken shadow of boldness and cunning.
Kaa the Python: A thirty foot battering ram driven by a cool, hungry mind.
Baloo the Bear: who keeps the lore and the Law, and teaches the Secret Words.
Rikki the Mongoose: The young protector who sings as he slays.
Akela and Raksha the Wolves: Demon warriors of the Free People.
Shere Khan the Tiger: The dreaded enemy of all.
And Mowgli the Man-cub: The orphan baby raised by the wolves, taught by Baloo, trained by Bagheera and Kaa. The sorcerer who knows the ways of the jungle and speaks the language of the wild..."
My Thoughts:
This classic is very different from the images I remember from the Disney version. Also, the version I read didn't have the animals' short stories, only the story of Mowgli. It was enthralling nonetheless. I read this in one sitting. I loved the portrayal of Mowgli, and how the others, particularly Bagheera and Baloo, looked after him even after the wolf pack turned on him. Their persistence to save him from the monkeys (and ask for help from those considered "lower" than themselves) was truly moving. The skills they taught him would have served him well if he were able to make it into the "human" world. I really liked how he was able to outsmart the lion with his herd and with the help of his wolf-brothers, who never turned on him, and continued to support him as he tried to enter society. I thought the characterization of each animal was well done, as it showed characteristics that were expected, as well as new ones. The underlying themes of love, family, and friendship carried through the story making it an instant, heartfelt classic.
What are you reading?

I love book reviews! This sounds kinda interesting and I want to read it now!
ReplyDelete