Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Weekend: Bruce Jenner and the Opening of Deck Beer Season

Friday I was planning on cleaning up quite a bit. That didn't really happen. I got home, did the dishes that were piling up, put out all of my recycling, and then headed to Chipotle. I had been craving a burrito for over 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it was kind of awful. Very soggy. Blergh. And then I watched the Bruce Jenner special.

Saturday morning I got a late start. I had breakfast in bed (the best kind of breakfast, imo), and watched some responses to the Bruce Jenner special. There was one other famous transgender person- the former helicopter pilot Bob Tur from the OJ Simpson trial, who captured the footage of the speeding Bronco- who basically said that Bruce's interview was lacking, specifically because he "dodged" questions regarding gender reassignment surgery and sexuality. She stated that the special was just another spark to fuel another reality show based on his transition. (I'm hoping this isn't true.**)

I don't agree. He answered the gender reassignment question- he says he really doesn't know if he'll do it, but is prepared because he has the necessary paperwork/recommendations from psychiatrists. As for sexuality, he stated that he just wants to be who he feels he is inside- it's not all about having sex with a specific gender, though he has always been interested in women, and never had ideas/thoughts regarding hooking up with other men.  The line that I thought was most poignant was from an endocrinologist who stated that "Sexual orientation is who you go to bed with,” Spack tells ABC News, “but gender identity is who you go to bed as.” Well said, Doc.

The rest of Saturday was spent running some errands, grabbing Five Guys, bowling, catching up on Game of Thrones, and finishing The Incredible Kimmy Schmidt. I really can't wait until it comes back. It took me a little while to get into it, but I kind of love her antics.

I lost. twice. 

Deck beer season has begun

GoT mega-beers!

Sunday I was up and out (fairly) early to meet a friend for brunch in Hoboken. I had this amazing champagne margarita and a delicious breakfast burrito at Cadillac Cantina. Then I headed to an absolute worthless meeting for class. Seriously, nothing got accomplished except deciding when we're next going to meet, and that took 2 hours. Lame. I cannot wait until this semester is over. 



**UPDATE: I heard after I wrote this that it IS true; there will be a docu-series on Jenner's transition. Le sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Pete loves Kimmy Schmidt! I love the theme song! hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the Jenner interview was really good. However, I'm a little disappointed that he is doing a docu-series, I sort of thought he was over being on tv.

    ReplyDelete