![]() |
| {via} |
I've made more time for reading. As evident from my reading list and from 2014 to now. Of course some years I read more than others due to life things, but for the most part it has been on the uprise since then.
I talk about books in my everyday life. I never used to do this. Not that I read in secret or that there was any shame in it, it just wasn't as much of a hobby of mine until more recently. Now I will bring up books that I've read or struck a chord with me all the time, with any and everyone, and I've found that friends who I've known for years that are big readers as well, which has brought us even closer. And I've encouraged others who had pushed it aside as adults to become readers too!
I read WAY more on my Kindle app. I still don't own a Kindle, for no other reason than I don't know which one I want, but I use the Kindle app on my phone and laptop. This way I can read ALL the e-books! Most of the e-ARCs I receive also come in this format, which is very helpful!
I always have at least one book on me at all times. Since I always have my phone on me, I always have a book available! (Actually I have closer to 50 books there, but that's a post for another day!)
I started participating in reading challenges, which has pushed me to read books outside of my comfort zone. I think I may have been a bit overzealous this year, attempting to complete 5 of them, but overall I really enjoy participating and the reading communities that come with it!
I've embraced the DNF idea. I used to struggle through books I didn't love because I thought I had to finish what I started, but why? There are too many good books out there than to struggle through something I'm not loving. Occasionally it turns out to be a timing issue and I wind up picking it up again later and loving it, but I'm okay with never trying it again either!
I'm always scouring Goodreads. It's probably my second most used app, next to Instagram. I also really love updated my current reads on there, and it's a great place to keep track of books I've read and want to read. I started making separate bookshelves for DNFs, holiday reads, and reading challenges books too. If we're not already, let's be friends!
Though I still love physical books, I've broken up with Paperback Swap and buying new books (unless it's as a gift). Now I mostly buy used books from my library since they have a revolving bookcase and sell their overstock all the time. 10 cents for paperbacks, and 50 cents for hardcovers- it's great!
My bookshelf is currently overflowing. I used to be able to split a 3 shelf bookcase with my ex... now I have a 3 shelves with 2 rows each, a full book cart, AND a stack on the floor... what can I say, I love a great deal! And I'm a mood reader, so I like having a variety to choose from!
I finally started utilizing my school library. I have no idea what took me so long, but I work at a college and just realized over the summer that they offer fiction, and some of the latest new releases! If I want something else, I can request an inter-collegiate library loan. Not only that, but the return dates are much longer- usually a whole month!
One thing that hasn't changed is that I still don't listen to audiobooks! At least now I can say I've tried... I just can't stay focused.
What are some reading habits that have changed for you in the last couple of years?
Linking up with Jana!



No comments:
Post a Comment