Tuesday, May 6, 2014

April Wallet Watch

Back in March, Steph created this April Wallet Watch linkup. I loved this idea because there were no "set" rules- you could make up your own. The main thing that I noticed during this month was how much I was spending and in what categories. It was a bit of an eye opener. 

I decided on 3 simple rules: track spending, no unnecessary/non-budgetted purchases, and stick to my budget. I'm glad I only had three rules- even sticking to those were hard at times! Here's the recap...

My Rules:

-track spending daily: (mostly) Success!


I did this. If I was using cash, I noted it in my phone on the same day (otherwise I know I would have forgotten). If I was using my card, I was able to just double check the statement. Except I hate checking my account. So a few days might have gone by without me checking.
Solution: I set an alarm on my phone to check my account every MWF.

- no unnecessary/non-budgeted purchases (gift cards not included): (mostly) Success!


The only thing I bought was a round trip train ticket because I couldn't find my transit pass, and a gift for my friend who had a baby. Oh, and I "bought" Gravity, so that will be added to my cable bill which I'll be paying for this month. Also, I did get my couch (finally), and it was $200 UNDER budget! #winning. I didn't use any gift cards, mainly because I usually am terrible and spend a little more than the gift cards are worth. I decided it was best if I just didn't walk into any stores, and delete all shopping related emails.

- stick to budget: Fail. 


I was under my grocery budget, which was set at $60. I guess buying some non-perishables at the Dollar Store really helped! And I paid all my bills, but that was it.

I failed the most miserably in the eating out/entertainment category. Week 1 was probably the worst for me. There were THREE unexpected (non-budgeted for) nights out, because two people who were unexpected came into town, and my work wife quit. Which meant eating/going out aka completely blowing my eating out/entertainment budget. Actually, the first outing only cost $20, because I was careful choosing what I got, didn't get any drinks, and got a free appetizer (thanks Yelp!).


But then my friend and her fiance came up for the weekend completely out of the blue, and I haven't seen them since last summer, so we went out. And my other friend quit, so we went out. One night I spent too much- the night my friend finally was able to go out because her bf was watching the baby. It was one of the very few times she was able to get a night out, and we took full advantage. (Which didn't end up well for her or my wallet, but that's another story.)



Overall, I think I did pretty well. I'm going to continue this through May and see if I can do a bit better. One thing that will help is that there are basically events every single weekend, so I know what I will be spending for them. Less free time = less frivolous spending in my case.

I've redone my budget, since I had to add a "Gift" category for May (hello, Mother's Day, a baptism, an engagement party, my Godson's graduation from Kindergarten, and 2 birthdays!). I think I need to be a little more realistic regarding my entertainment/eating out category. Or maybe separate the two. Plus, I need to save for an upcoming mini-vacation.
Do you budget? How did you do?

7 comments:

  1. I think you did pretty well! It can be discouraging when three unplanned things come up early on, but you powered through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you fared pretty well through wallet watch! These ecards are freaking perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree w/ you... so much easier to budget when you know ahead of time what events you're going to be a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably would have also gone out with my friend who can't get out much. That seems like it was worth the money spent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say you were still a success! The times you went to eat out were unplanned and for good reason! You totally made up for it with the Dollar tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cracked me up because of the pics. Those describe my financial life to a T! haha

    I think you did great! I deleted all shopping e-mails too. And in doing so... I never realized I got so many. Loft, JCP, Charming Charlie, Groupon, Maidenform, Bath & Body Works, On The Border.... Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so hard when you have unexpected guests but you still did really good! It takes a few times to find what works for you.

    ReplyDelete