So you know how you make friends (if you're lucky) with some of your coworkers? Well, I am lucky enough to have 3. We are fairly close- we go to lunch together just about every day, vent our frustrations about work and personal life, and even hang out outside of the office and buy each other presents for holidays/birthdays/etc. But there are still boundaries that you have to be careful not to cross. And one of my dear friends crossed it...repeatedly.
I am a fairly easy going and playful person- I don't let much bother me and I like joking around with my friends. But one of my pet peeves is people touching me. Hugging close friends is fine- but people I've only recently become friends with, I get a little uneasy.
Also, no one likes being made fun of, me included. Even if it is just teasing, after awhile, it's just not funny anymore. Anyway, my one friend started coming up to me and cupping my forehead withe the palm of her hand. At first, I was like....WHAT are you DOING?!?! It was soooo strange. Just randomly walk up to me, and cup my forehead. She said that 1. I have a big forehead and 2. she liked that the palm of her hand fit my forehead perfectly. No joke.
So this went on for several months. Every so often I would tell her it bothered me, but eventually I just gave up because I realized she had no intention of stopping. she thought I was joking around. Until one day about a month ago. I was having a rough day. Phones were ringing off the hook, various other coworkers were annoying me, I had more work than I could handle, and I had just about had it. So she's standing by my desk- I get yet another phone call, and my boss is also standing nearby waiting to talk to me about something. And she pulled on my ear...in front of my boss, and while I'm on a work call. I exploded. "STOP TOUCHING ME!!! Don't yank my ear, don't cup my forehead, just stop it!!!"
Needless to say, she hasn't touched me since. And as usual, I felt awful after yelling at her. I know she was just playing, but it was so annoying! Plus, it made me incredibly self conscious about my forehead, which, prior to this experience, I never realized was that big!
Now we joke about it, and she teases me in other ways (like throwing paperclips at me from her desk!). Anyway, I saw this on Tosh.0- enjoy!!
P.S. Is anyone else having trouble using spell check? It hasn't been working on my blog in over a week!
This post made me laugh so hard! I def know how you feel. The whole touching thing is annoying.
ReplyDeleteI used to work w/ a girl who would slap my butt ALL. THE. TIME. I was having a hard and she slapped my butt. Then I yelled at her. I told her she needed to stop, that I had a headache, and for goodness sake - I was pregnant. She stopped touching me. :)
Also, the forehead thing - I am betting you don't have a big one. My BIL does the same thing (the cupping). He pulls my bangs backa and he says "Peeled Onion". I don't know.
I have been told all my life I have one (esp. by my mom b/c she made me have bangs and now I feel like I can't go w/o them!) We measured our fh's one day at work. I actually had a small one compared to everyone else.
OMG, that blow up was fully warranted. I would have flipped out, too!
ReplyDeleteWow I thought I was the only one- "Peeled Onion"?! That would make me mad too!
ReplyDeleteI was considering getting bangs since this started, but I haven't had them since I was in middle school, and I remember what a hard time I had growing them out, so I'm still debating...maybe I'll do the longer side-swept style bang so it won't take as long to grow back if I want to.
I totally flipped out- it was a bad day and I'd had it- but we're still cool. :)