This Week I'm Sharing...
From Goodreads:
"This is the story of how a haughty former sorority girl went from having a household income of almost a quarter-million dollars to being evicted from a ghetto apartment... It's a modern Greek tragedy, as defined by Roger Dunkle in The Classical Origins of Western Culture: a story in which "the central character, called a tragic protagonist or hero, suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected."
In other words? The bitch had it coming."
My Thoughts:
This is the first book I've read from Jen Lancaster (of the ever famous Jennsylvania). I've wanted to read this (along with her others) for a long time. However, it was just ok. I don't know, I thought I'd be more into it, but there wasn't anything to make me fall in love with her. I thought we would be more similar,... boy was I wrong. First of all, I thought the tone was generally whiny. "Woe is me, once I was an exec, now I'm taking my Coach bag to the unemployment line." "Boo-hoo, my parents (finally) cut me off from their money because I'm a hopeless shopaholic." No, just no. I thought her drunken stories would make me laugh out loud, instead they just made me feel sorry for her. I did like her husband (someone with some common sense), until he admitted to just hiding bills instead of dealing with them.
I gave it three stars, but I thought even that was a bit gracious. I won't say don't read it, but it is completely mindless chick-lit.
----------------------------------

I liked this one too but wasn't blown away. The 2nd one pulled me in though and I've read them all, including her first fiction piece. Are you planning to read Bright Lights, Big Ass?
ReplyDeleteI'm a Jen Lancaster fan and I read this and enjoyed it for the most part. I have her other books on my ever growing list.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from BCF :)
What made me enjoy this more is that I stopped thinking about it as a memoir, and instead as blog posts. I don't remember it being amazing, but overall have enjoyed the Jen Lancaster books I've read.
ReplyDeleteI've only read one of her novels, Such A Pretty Fat, but I could not stop laughing out loud. Maybe try that one?
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm giving away a $100 credit towards a pretty new dress! I'd love for you to enter.