Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Weekend Update, Or That Time I Got Knocked Over by a 4 Year Old

This weekend was filled with kiddos. Not mine of course, as I have yet to procreate. But I digress...

Friday night we got some Indian take out (which was delish), and stopped by DSW to check out some Sperry's for C's dad for Father's Day. We snatched up the display ones, which were the only ones in his size. Success!

Saturday late-morning started the mad dash. We had to get wine for C's dad (and some for me, because well, we were there so why not?!), stop at Hallmark for some cards, and gift bags, and had to get some flowers for C's Goddaughter's 1st dance recital.

We barely had time to have a snack and then it was off to her dance recital! C's Goddaughter (CG) is 4. She was so adorable in her little purple fluff of a costume. Oh, and fake eyelashes. Yes... you read that correctly. She wouldn't stand still long enough for her mom to put mascara on her, so she stuck on some self-adhesive eyelashes. CG LOVED them!! She refused to take them off even after the recital.

OOTD: shirt- United Colors of Benetton (thrifted), shorts: Old Navy, shoes: Old Navy, bag: Coldwater Creek (gifted)

C, trying to be as preppy as me
C: Whatever, I'm preppier than you are.
Me: No way. I've got United Colors of Benetton on. Even your boat shoes can't compare.
C: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

CG and her Godparents

Guys, the dance recital was 3 HOURS LONG. 3. HOURS!!!  I used to dance when I was a kid, but I certainly don't remember them being that long. And of course we had to stay for the whole thing, even though her "performance" was 3 minutes in the first 20 minutes of the recital, because we had to see her in the "Finale"- which was basically all the dancers standing in front of the stage and waving to the audience. Seriously. I think I felt most sorry for her brother, who is 6. At least we had our phones to distract us- he had nothing!

I'm not saying the rest of the show was bad by any means- in fact, I was really impressed by some of the performances, but it was so long. And the place was packed- completely sold out the auditorium in a local college! At $20 a ticket, they must have made a killing! We were in Row T (3rd to last), and each row had about 35 seats. And that's not even including the balcony!

There were 10 of us total- CG's parents, brother, grandmother, us, his Godmother, and 3 other aunts! So she was a bit overwhelmed when it ended and we all had bouquets upon bouquets of flowers for her!

CG's Flowers

Afterwards, we all went to Cheeburger Cheeburger. I don't know how parents do it- the kids were running amuck in the restaurant! But it was a good ending to a long day.

Sunday we were up and at 'em early to go to C's old neighbor's daughter's son's Christening (did you get all that?!). They are close friends with C's family. It was my 1st experience in a Protestant Church. And we were at the "Contemporary" mass. It was much different than any mass I've attended. They had a children's part, where all the kids sat up front and were told of some prophet in a kid-friendly way, and then 2 people came up and told their stories of how Jesus "spoke" to them. It was pretty interesting. There were no Readings from the Bible, Gospel, or Communion. And there were a lot of teens, which I found odd, but in a good way.

Anyway, the baby we were there to see was so good during the whole Mass, except when he was getting Christened- boy did he cry!! But as soon as he was back in his mama's arms he calmed down. Afterwards, we went to the family's house for lunch. They had a big backyard, which all the kids loved (4 in total, ages 3-4). The baby even let me hold him without crying for a good 30 minutes! (That is, until he saw Mom and wanted her, which was to be expected.)

Christening

Holding Baby Colin Patrick
(obviously my hair was not cooperating that day!)

Everything was going peachy-keen until it was time for us to leave. As we were saying bye, I wanted a hug from Colin's sister, Jade. I squatted down to be at her level, and she POUNCED on me. I'm not kidding. She completely barreled me over. I went down, forward, with her in my arms. Luckily, she stayed upright. I wound up with a scraped knee. Can we just say OUCH!!!!!!!! I don't even remember the last time I had a scrape, but this one hurt like hell! (Plus, truth be told, I'm a big baby when it comes to pain.)

I was very happy to limp back home, lay up on the couch, and watch True Blood, kid-free!!


P.S. Are you guys watching True Blood??! Chris Meloni finally made his debut! And he is freakin AWESOME! Can't wait for next week's episode!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun filled packed weekend! Hope the scrape is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so stinking adorable- but 3 HOURS. Really?! That's just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for making it those 3 hours. I had recitals and they were always so long!! Totally agree with you on True Blood. Love that show!

    ReplyDelete