Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Show Us Your Books: June Reads

I had an "okay" reading month in June, nothing spectacular. As Steph would say, they "passed the time just fine." Let's jump right in, shall we?


Husband Material- Emily Belden: 3 Stars
Own


Image result for husband material book

Charlotte, a young widow, spends her life hiding behind a computer screen crunching numbers for a 
social media influencer firm by day and trying to create a fool-proof, algorithm based, "perfect" app for finding a new husband by night. Her life downward spirals after the ashes of her late husband, who was laid to rest 5 years earlier, show up on her doorstep and she realizes she never fully coped with his death and now she has to. While I knew I was supposed to be "rooting" for Charlotte, I didn't really like her half as much as I liked her roommate (side character) Casey. And I found the "big secret" to be too heavy to lead to the HEA ending in any sort of real way. 

Our Stop- Laura Jane Williams: 3.5 Stars*
Netgalley


Image result for our stop laura jane williams


This was a super-quick rom-com that I gobbled up in 2 sittings. Nadia and Daniel were confident but also sometimes full of self-doubt, which is human and realistic. I really enjoyed the alternating viewpoints, the side-story with Nadia's best friends, and the references to pop culture, like the hashtag trending on Twitter. It was predictable, but I still agonized over all the misses and if they would ever actually meet! Deducting a star because it dragged a bit in the middle and the epilogue were superfluous and uninteresting; I liked the ending better without it. Daniel seemed a bit smug in his self-awareness, and the scene with his housemate was completely unnecessary and really didn't add anything to the overall story except to color it a bit. 

Sugar- Deidre Riordan Hall: 3 Stars
Kindle Unlimited


Image result for sugar deirdre riordan hall

First of all, let me just say that I've had this since 2015 and I put off reading it because of the cover. I just saw an alternate cover for the paperback version and I know I would have read it sooner if I had seen that one instead. This one gives no insight into even what genre this book is. 

Then there's the description of the main character being a "fat Puerto Rican-Polish girl," and I thought 'cool, another halfsie like me, and Puerto Rican too! This should be interesting.' Except it was not interesting, because there were 0 references to either ethnicity, and for some reason the entire time I thought she and her family were African American until I saw that description again, so why even mention it? The other thing that made this a bit clumsy to read was that one of the characters was named "Even." So whenever that word (or name) was used in a sentence, I had to re-read it. 

Those aspects aside, overall, I enjoyed the story. Sugar is a overweight teen living with her morbidly obese (like, can't get out of bed obese) mom and a*hole brother. She mostly keeps to herself because she's constantly bullied. Then Even shows up and shows her another way to live- really live- and she starts changing her life for the better. 

Trigger warnings: abuse and eating disorders
Dumped, Actually- Nick Spalding: 3 Stars*
Netgalley


Image result for dumped, actually

This was my first Nick Spalding novel and I have to say, this MUST be read with an English accent! Oliver Sweet is a journalist who gets very publicly dumped while proposing to his girlfriend. He writes about it in the paper and asks the subscribers for advice. What ensues is the laugh-out-loud adventures of him following their advice. However his whole "woe is me" attitude, while entertaining at first, became old fast, especially in comparison to his friend Wimsy. Also, though I understood the ending I didn't like it and was left wanting more.
 

Twenty-One Truths About Love- Matthew Dicks: 2 Stars*
Netgalley


Image result for twenty one truths about love

This was such a struggle to get through. Dan was a pessimistic, judgmental jerk with absolutely no redeeming qualities. I didn't enjoy his lists and didn't find him funny in the least.  I liked the side characters in general and Bill in particular; he had personality.

I also liked the idea of a story being told entirely in lists, and maybe it was the author's execution, but it felt disjointed. Also, I don't understand why the only action came 80% into the story. It’s mentioned throughout the entire story but then all of a sudden it’s rushed and tied up too quickly without any consequence, which is ridiculous.

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, NetGalley!


What are you reading lately? 
Linking up with Steph and Jana

Life According to Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment