Today I'm linking up with Shay to share my typical day! I haven't done one of these since 2016, and (gratefully) my life/schedule hasn't changed much since. Last time I did this though, I posted only about my nigh time routine since I work a 9-5 office job and that's not all that interesting. I'll try to skip over the more boring parts of the day, I promise! Also in case you're new to these parts, I live alone, don't have any kids, and "Blue" (mentioned further below) is my gf.

7:40- alarm #1 ::snooze::
7:50- alarm #2 ::snooze::
8:00- alarm #3 aka GET THE EFF UP, WOMAN!
8:02-8:20: pour pre-set coffee into reusable mug, brush teeth, get dressed in clothes I set out the night before, make coffee (milk/sugar), grab pre-made lunch from fridge, race out the door and walk to the train station.
![]() |
| Disregard the time, I took this on a day I had off! |
8:30- 8:50: My train is usually on time (thank heavens). I text Blue and read my latest book on my way in to work.
8:55- 9:10: Walk over to my work shuttle stop and wait since I've missed the 8:50 shuttle. If my "shuttle buddies" are there we usually about the weekend or pop culture things (yesterday it was about the latest Stranger Things season). There are 3 of us and we sit in the back of the shuttle and everyone else on the shuttle (it's usually the same 7-ish people) think we need to start a podcast because of our antics lol. If they aren't around, I sign in to my work apps on my phone to make sure I'm not missing anything important, and then scroll social media and/or read my book.
9:20: Walk into work. My "official" start time is 9 but my boss doesn't work in the same building as me since our work space is currently under renovations and thus our department has been scattered across campus. Anyway, he's lenient about start/end times and gives us a grace periods.
9:25-10:00: Everyone knows I don't really start doing work until 10. Somehow, this is widely accepted and my coworkers leave me be other than the casual "Hi, how are you?" until 10, after I've had my coffee. I have no idea when this even started being an understood thing, but it is and it's lovely. (It may have something to do with the fact that I'm the most senior person in my office, having been there for 9 1/2 years.)
10:00 - 1:00: Work. I'm an IT Technician and Help Desk Manager at a college. So basically I fix IT things (my main area is telecommunications) and I'm in charge of all the student workers- recruiting, hiring, firing, training, etc. It's like IT Customer Service for the school.
1:30-2: Lunch break. We get an hour but I usually only take 30 min. I make a point to step out of the office to get a "real" break. I don't really socialize (except on Thursdays when we order in as a group) - I eat, take a walk, and read and/or scroll social media. Usually I pack a sandwich and chips or leftovers and an iced tea.
2-4:45: More work things.
4:50: Shuttle back to train station.
5:13: Train ride home. On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays Blue meets me in our usual train seats and we ride together since we're on the same train line, but different stops. Sometimes after rough days we split a roadie, but usually we just catch up about our days until my stop.
5:45 - 6:30: Walk home, immediately change into comfy clothes, empty work bag, and do nothing aka decompress for at least 30 min. If it's nice out, I'll hang out on my deck, otherwise it's couch o'clock.
6:30-ish - 7:30-ish: Dinner. I decided to make this green chili and chicken dish, and it was really tasty!
7:30-ish -10:30-ish: Quick clean up (read: put dishes in dishwasher and wipe down counters) and then... Free time! Usually each weeknight is designated for something: Mondays are for planning the week and decompressing, Tuesdays is groceries, Wednesdays laundry night, Thursdays Blue comes over and I cook and we watch "our" shows, and Fridays I head to Blue's apt. for the weekend. So tonight I'm doing laundry and packing for a camping trip we're going on this weekend.
10:30-ish-11:30-ish: Get ready for next day and bed. Wash reusable mug and set coffee, make lunch (unless I've already packed leftovers from dinner), shower, check weather and set aside two outfit options for next day, set multiple alarms, and go to sleep!
And that's a wrap!
What does your typical (week) day look like?
Linking up with Shay!









No comments:
Post a Comment