Thursday, February 24, 2011

25 Ways to Save: A List

Sometimes all you need is a goal. I have two.

One, get out of debt. And two, go to India this fall.

"Getting out of debt" is a somewhat lofty goal. And it's hard to make any visible progress (especially when you're in as deep as I am). So far, I've been doing ok. Not anything major, but ok. Funding a trip to India is much easier to measure. And finding ways to cut back and save money has definitely become a new hobby of mine. And once you see how much I can save, it encourages me to do more. Recently, I have made some (although minor) cutbacks:
  • I called my cell phone company and switched to their lowest plan, because I don't talk a whole lot on the phone. For me, as long as I have a large text plan, I'm good.
  • I cut our Netflix to a smaller plan and changed my commute a little which I wrote about here.
  • I also called our cable company and got rid of one of our (3) premium movie channels and the sports channel. I would have liked to cut back even more in this department, but C is home more than I am, and he likes his TV. Baby steps.

And I follow money saving blogs and email lists. One blog I found today was Howisavemoney.net. She posted her 25 ways she saves money. So, I colored the ones I do, just as an exercise to see how well I'm doing vs. how well I think I'm doing!
Here we go:
  1. Do not buy things from vending machines
  2. Buy in bulk (I tried this, but found it was not worth it for a 2-person household with absolutely no storage space!)
  3. Use Compact Fluorescent bulbs
  4. Use natural light
  5. Open the windows (when it's not freezing out, yes)
  6. Order free samples online
  7. Use candles (we use candles for the nice smell. I thinks he was talking about using candles as an inexpensive light source)
  8. Turn off unused appliances
  9.  Make my lunch (to be fair, C makes my lunch! Thanks hunnie!)
  10. Pick up pennies
  11. Automatic savings plan
  12. Pay bills online (apparently this saves in stamp and envelope prices. i was just doing it to be more green, and because it's done faster than mailing!)
  13. Reduce interest rates (on what?)
  14. Take the bus, walk, or carpool
  15. Cook for multiple days (We're lucky if we cook 3x a week!)
  16. Use coupons (I don't go anywhere without using coupons. I even search for coupons before buying anything online, and use cashback sites! See the side panel if you want to as well!)
  17. Buy generic
  18. Keep extra money in high yield savings instead of checking (I am going to open one March 1. For rel this time!)
  19. Use the library (I don't use the library because I have a Nook. But I was using it before.)
  20. Wash dishes by hand
  21. Re-use plastic shopping bags as trash bags
  22. Use a water filter (like Brita? We have one of those pitchers...)
  23. No cable (HA. No.)
  24. Use paypal for purchases (Why?) 
  25. Make lists…and stick to them (I'm assuming grocery and shopping lists; we do that)
It also had a few tips that I do (and should do) in the comments section:
Wash and reuse zip top baggies
Make it a concrete rule to put 20% of each paycheck into a savings account (I will start doing this with my next paycheck)

ALWAYS search for online coupon/discount codes when shopping online
Use an online budgeting tool, such as mint.com (I started this, but I need to update it because right now it's not being very useful)
Use group discount websites, such as livingsocial, groupon, yippit, buywithme (I can't even begin to explain how much I LOVE these sites!)
Cut back on eating out (we are working on this...)In what ways do you save? Or what tips and tricks have you learned along the way? I would love your feedback!

3 comments:

  1. For number 13, if you have a credit card that you're in good standing with, you can call them and request a lower interest rate. I recently got Discover to lower my rate from 18.99% to 1.9%! I try not to keep a balance anyway, but it's good knowing that if I have to, it's lower.

    Regarding number 20, I'm not sure it's really cheaper to wash dishes by hand. My dishwasher uses 6 gallons per load, which is supposedly less than I'd use if I were doing them by hand. I also don't have to leave the kitchen lights on to run the dishwasher like I would if I were doing them by hand, and the unit we have is an Energy star unit that supposedly costs $50/YEAR to run, if we run four loads a week. The little extra I *might* save by doing them by hand is worth me not having to do that yucky chore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a huge difference in interest rate! I currently don't have any credit cards, but it's good to know you can lower the interest rate. I wonder if that wrks on past due/ old cards?

    We have an EnergyStar as well. Which is great, because dishwashing is my 2nd least favorite chore to do (right behind vaccuuming!). I think I was scarred by it as a child because that's the chore I always got stuck doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I do is when I'm on my days off from work, I only make one trip out. That way I save on gas. I get all my errands done in one day or trip and park the car.

    ReplyDelete