Friday, February 7, 2020

What's New With Me: Hibernation Season

I've always joked that after December I go in to "Hibernation Season," but it's completely true! I hate going out in the cold, and I'm a bit over "people-ing" after celebrating my birthday and then the holidays with friends and family. Don't get me wrong- I love seeing all of my nearest and dearest, but especially as I get older, I feel the real need to rest and reset afterwards. I've definitely become more of an ambivert/introvert with age. I ain't mad about it, but I do need to recognize this and do what's best for my mental health without forcing it. 

That's not to say I lock myself away completely come January but instead of going out I invite other people to come visit me and just plan less in general. Blue bought Yahtzee which I realized I've never played before, so we spent a few nights playing that. Michael and her boyfriend came over for dinner and Scrabble one night, and I actually won! Woot! 


Another friend group decided that we should meet up monthly and one person would choose where we went/what we did, in alphabetical order. The first person was Blue, so we decided to host a potluck brunch. She made 2 different quiches (taylor ham and swiss and broccoli and cheddar) which were a hit. I made Crescent Roll Cinnamon Rolls (done in 30 min and delish, highly recommend), someone made some ridiculously good french toast monkey bread type thing, so we shared our maple syrup aged in bourbon-barrels which was off-the-freakin-chain. Not boozy at all, but definitely tasty! Other items of note: rainbow bagels (and fixins), BACON (5 lbs... and we ate every last piece!), chocolates, and of course mimosa/screwdriver fixins! 



Blue and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary in the beginning of the month, marking my longest relationship ever. I sent her flowers at work to embarrass her and (finally?) gave her a spare key to my apartment, which I have also never done before. We went out to dinner at a new-to-us tapas/wine bar that night, and the following weekend we went to brunch at one of our favorite restaurant/cocktail bars followed by seeing Alanis Morisettes' "Jagged Little Pill" on Broadway. Honestly, I didn't have any expectations for this show. I loved the album, but didn't see how were they gonna turn an album into a story/Broadway show. Welp, they did it. It caught me by surprise. It hit me in ALL the feels and it BLEW ME AWAY. It also addressed a lot of serious issues of today (as opposed to 25 years ago when it was released-can you BELIEVE that it's been that long?!) So yeah, if you have the opportunity to see it- do it. You won't be disappointed, even if you're a fair- weather fan of the album. 


Let's see...what else? Well, Blue and I both had a head cold near the beginning of the month... and then we both had a 24-hour stomach bug (on separate days) somewhere in the middle of the month that was AWFUL. But thankfully only 24 hours. And I couldn't miss out on the Dolly Parton Challenge that was all over IG, so here is Keebler in all his (white-undies) glory!


What's new with you?
Linking up with Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment