Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Show Us Your Books: October

It's that time of the month again- the one where my TBR grows 3 sizes! I had a hard time finishing books towards the end of the month. I'd put a few on my holds list at the library, and they all came in around the same time. Couple that with one that was longer than what I usually read (500 pages as opposed to like 350), and I started to get anxious and read even less than what I usually read. Does that happen to anyone else? I had to get physical copies from the library because the e-books expired before I'd finished, so now I have 3 sitting on my dining room table. At least the expiration dates are longer! Here's what I did get through this month. 

The Woman in the Window- A.J. Finn: 4.5 Stars
library e-book


Image result for the woman in the window

I'm always wary of reading super-hyped books, but even Blue raved about it (and had already borrowed it on my library card) so I read it immediately. It was a super quick, enthralling read and I'm so glad I jumped on it! I didn't see any of the twists coming, especially not the last one, and it kept me up late because I had to know what happened in those last 50 pages, which is always a good sign. I'm also super excited that this will be made into a movie featuring Amy Adams! 


Puddin' (Dumplin' #2)- Julie Murphy: 4 Stars
library e-book


Image result for puddin' book

I will be one of the few to admit that I didn't love Dumplin', like, at all. I told you guys that in September. I was interested enough to give this one a shot though, and I'm so glad I did! I loved getting to know Millie, and she reminded me of one of my best friends from high school. I loved that Callie didn't get her way, and had to work hard physically and emotionally, and I loved the girl friendships and supporting one another. "Riots not diets!"


You- Caroline Kepnes: 3 Stars
library e-book

Image result for you caroline kepnes

Finishing this was a struggle. I didn’t think Joe had enough self confidence to be perceived as an actual threat, but maybe that helped him? Also Beck was self indulgent and whiny AF. I also didn’t like the stream of consciousness, present tense second person narrative format throughout. Not terrible, but not my favorite. That being said, I’ll still probably read the next one.


Evidence of the Affair- Taylor Jenkins Reid: 4.5 Stars
Kindle Unlimited
115 pages

Image result for evidence of the affair

Finally my first Taylor Jenkins Reid, and I get the hype now! I also really enjoyed the format, told only through letters. Though this was super short, I still felt connected to the characters and that ending certainly packed a punch! 

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.- Judy Blume: 3 Stars
library e-book


Image result for are you there god? it's me margaret

Had I read this when I was around the same age as Margaret, I would have given this 5 stars. That being said, I read this in one sitting and I remember thinking and feeling some of the exact same things as Margaret when I was her age- that yearning to fit in, grow physically, and feeling like an a-hole at some of my own mean girl moments, but ultimately learning from them. My friend had been pushing me to read this for the last year, especially since now it's being made into a movie, and I'm glad I finally did 



Currently Reading: One of Us is Lying- Karen M. McManus
Children of Blood and Bone- Tomi Adeyemi
The Haunting of Hill House- Shirley Jackson


What are you reading lately? 
Linking up with Steph and Jana!

Life According to Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment