November was a quiet month for me, and for good reason. Call it the calm before the storm, if you will. I was storing all my energy (and money, tbh) for the whirlwind that is December. There were a lot of quiet nights with cooking or ordering in and movies, and it was perfect.
![]() |
| Dueling pianos with my girls |
![]() |
| pizza and beers with Blue's brother and wife |
It wasn't all bad. Luckily my mom had warned me about the no TV/radio/wifi, so I came armed with my laptop, movies for the Fall Film Challenge from the library, chocolate, and wine. We also went on a nature hike and learned about how the land had previously been used as a summer camp for underprivileged youth, and even went inside some of the old cabins that were still standing. They also had rescued donkeys (I have no idea why), so we hung out and fed them. I was worried about not actually getting to eat Thanksgiving, so Blue made me a pre-Thanksgiving the weekend before. But the food they served was fantastic! (I mean, Blue's mashed potatoes were better, but overall it was pretty good.)
![]() |
| Blue's Pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner |
![]() |
| I made pumpkin pie |
![]() |
| hanging with these |
Listening to: Getting reacquainted with Britney Spears and Lady Gaga in prep for their concerts in 2 weeks! Also, the latest P!nk album- Beautiful Trauma.
Reading: A Perfect Stranger- Megan Miranda
Loving: That including today, I only have 8 days of work left for the year!
Wanting: Not much. I posted a wishlist here. I just added a Sephora gift card because Steph just informed me that my new favorite perfume comes in a spray (I have a rollerball). And Blue confessed that she got me a charging case for my iPhone since lately my battery likes to drop from 80% down to 24% within 45 minutes even when I'm not using it and every background app is closed. Fun times.
Drinking: I found this awesome service called Hopsy that delivers cold mini-kegs of local craft beer to your front door! You can choose from pre-curated 4 packs of light, dark, customer favorites, or create your own mix. I got the customer favorites one and was definitely impressed! If you're interested, use my referral link here for a $30 discount and free shipping (and I get $20 too!). Also would make a great last minute gift for any beer-lovers in your life!
![]() |
| mini-kegs delivered to my door! |
Lighting: Candles. I may have gone a little cray on BBW's 3-wick candle day last Saturday. But they were $9- how could I resist?!
Spending: See above! Other than that I've been pretty good about not spending until vacation!
Choosing: To ignore Mercury in Retrograde, though it will probably be difficult since I'm doing one of the main things you are not supposed to do during this time, which is traveling. Yikes. I also found this handy guide about what to expect this time around based on your sign (ya know, if you're into that sorta thing, which I am).
Sending: Nothing. I haven't sent holiday cards in years, and even though I've been saying that would change, it hasn't. Oh well, one less thing to stress about!
Singing: I've mentioned that I don't really like Christmas music, but two I will always sing this time of year are Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas" and Lou Monte's "Dominick the Donkey" (hee haw, hee haw!).
What's new with you lately?






I'm pretty sure Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas should just become the official Christmas song lol. Hopsy sounds really cool! They need to make their way to Dallas-Fort Worth. Lord knows we have a ton of breweries.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to inform you that "Dominick the Donkey" is my absolute least favorite Christmas song -- I literally cringe when I hear it!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet of Blue to make you a pre-Thanksgiving! Glad you were able to sorta(?) make the best of the retreat weekend, all things considered.
I sent holiday cards a few times throughout my 20s but ultimately gave up. I think it's nice for families with growing kids (or dogs tbh) but for me to just send cards to people I already speak to regularly is too much work and I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I do make a mental note to reach out more around the holidays and try to get some facetime on the books, but no more cards for me. It's less wasteful anyway, so really, I'm saving the planet.
I have a select playlist of Christmas music I like and anything else is outside of my lane/not welcome.
ReplyDeleteLove the outdoor and donkey part of Thanksgiving. The forced prayer and screaming children, not so much. I'm sorry it's a stressful time of year for you. My parents have been divorced for over 20 years and it's still stressful to split time plus inlaws. It's a lot so I sort of get where you're coming from in the sense that the holidays carry more stress even though our circumstances are quite different.
Hopsy sounds really awesome! I love craft beer! How cute are those bottles? I'm sorry that the holidays are a bit of a rocky time for you, but glad you've still managed to have some fun here and there!
ReplyDeleteBeth
The Beth Next Door
I love Dominick the Donkey. It makes me so happy every time I hear it :) so random there were rescue donkeys at that place you stayed in Bumblefuck, CT. I hope in the end you and your mom had a nice bonding experience but the forced prayer thing is never a favorite of mine either ;) and who the hell wants to hear screaming kids first thing in the morning?!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are enjoying a pretty crazy month and please keep the pizza pics coming :) ha!! Also I love dueling pianos. Xoxo
I'm glad the retreat wasn't all bad, but yeah, I wouldn't want to be forced into praying. Not my kind of thing. I hope you have a great Christmas though! I haven't listened to too much Christmas music yet, but I do have c.d.s that I need to put in the car (Penatonix' first Christmas album and Kelly Clarkson's...)
ReplyDelete-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net
This Hopsy thing sounds genius! And I am excited to start in on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - looks like a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteOh, Mercury in retrograde... reeked havoc on my life last year and the most important thing I remember from that time is to "stay the damn course and don't make any big decisions." Hopefully this MiR will be quiet for me and you!
ReplyDeleteseriously december is always a stressful busy money spending month.
ReplyDeletethat pizza!!!!!!!!!!! amazeballs. need it.
that hopsy thing sounds brilliant. they don't do KY but KC would love it. maybe one day!
i don't do christmas cards either. high five.
never heard the donkey song! but all i want for christmas, always forever and amen.
I'm on episode 5 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and I'm loving it!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your forced Thanksgiving, but I'm glad you found a few things to do while you were there. It looks like a really pretty place! I'm so envious about your Vegas trip. We ended up canceling ours and moving up our trip to New Orleans instead. I was so sure that if we just got down there I couldn't have convinced Jacob to take me to Britney. Haha! Yay for Mrs. Maisel! I'm glad you love it, too! I'm not into astrology, but I looked up my sign (Capricorn) in the guide you posted and yep! That's exactly me right now!!
ReplyDeleteHow is A Perfect Stranger? I've always enjoyed Megan Miranda's books when I read them.
ReplyDelete