This Is Where I Leave You- Jonathan Tropper: 3 Stars
Read if you like dark humor, dysfunctional families, dramedies
own, free paperback thanks to Erin- if you'd like to read it, I'll send it to you for free!
I didn't have a hard time getting into this; that was the easy part. I had a hard time sticking with it, but not in the DNF sense. It was a solid story and I really liked Tropper's writing style, but it was a bit too dark. I didn't like any of the characters except the mother, and I only liked her towards the end. In fact, I strongly disliked the main character. He was a punk ass. I felt like I was inside his head, which I enjoyed for the most part, except the whole planning-his-entire-life-with-one-look-at-a-woman thing. Though I usually like it when I get pieces of a main event in the past throughout the story, it didn't work for me here. And there were a few too many plot points that were extraneous and really didn't need to be there. However I did put it down for several other books and then had a hard time getting back into it, so maybe that had something to do with it too.
Everything, Everything- Nicola Yoon: 5 Stars
Read if you like YA, romance
library hardback
Even though I've seen all you's reading this (and loving it), the only reason I wanted to read this was after I saw the preview in the movie theater. The description on Goodreads just wasn't telling enough. I admit that I really didn't see the twist coming at all, and it completely threw me. And I loved it. I love Yoon's writing style and all of the descriptions. Yeah it's YA and it read that way, but I really enjoyed it. It was realistic (or as realistic as I would imagine it would be for someone with this type of illness), and I loved Olly and Maddy's quirks and how they grew and changed. I plan on reading a lot more from this author.
---------------------------------------------
Last time I promised to share what I planned to read for Erin's 7.0 Book Challenge (which started on July 1st!) but then I didn't which is a good thing because I've already changed some of my original selections! So here's what I'm planning to read:
|10 points| Starts w/ “B”: Beautiful Ruins- Jess Walters
|10 points| Yellow cover: Everything Changes- Jonathan Tropper (currently reading)
|15 points| An animal on the cover: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe- C.S. Lewis
|20 points| Published in 2017: Exit West- Moshin Hamid
|20 points| Compass/cardinal direction in title: East, West- Salman Rushdie
|25 points| A most commonly banned book in America: Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging- Louise Rennison
|30 points| Non-human main character: I Am The Messenger- Markus Zusak
|35 points| A Disney movie /book/ based on a Disney movie: Holes- Louis Sachar
What are you reading this month?


Great choices for Erin's challenge! I loved Holes when I was younger.
ReplyDeleteI share your feelings about Everything Everything! The movie was cute too.
Both books are my list. Trooper was the producer of one of my favorite shows, Banshee, and I really want to read something of his. Everything Everything always gets rave reviews and I'm hoping to get to it ... eventually!
ReplyDeleteI love Tropper even at his darkest.
ReplyDeleteI liked Everything Everything. Not my favorite YA book ever, I thought some things were lacking, but it was cute and fine and all that. I described it as a quirkier The Fault in Our Stars.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy all Tropper (as you know). I think I'd say The Book of Joe and One Last Thing Before I Go are my faves, and they are both pretty damn dark. Don't know what that says about me. ha.
ReplyDeleteHoles is fun, quick read. I enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI read This is Where I Leave You and Everything, Everything a year or so ago and enjoyed them both. I think Erin recommended the Tropper book to me, too!
I'm still figuring out a few of the categories for Erin's challenge. I'm glad you enjoyed Everything Everything. I haven't read it but the movie was cute.
ReplyDelete-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net
it's been a long time since i read this is where i leave you, i remember enjoying it but the main character was definitely a punk ass lol. i STILL haven't read Everything, Everything, i'm like #199 at the library. hurry up people!
ReplyDeleteI loved Everything, Everything!!!! I guessed the twist like right away, but then dropped the notion so I was still surprised in the end haha. I haven't read any Tropper books But I know several people who loved them.
ReplyDeleteI've been wanting to read that Tropper book forever. If you still have it, could I steal it from you next weekend?
ReplyDeleteAhhh I can't wait to read Everything Everything!
I read Angus, Thongs... like a decade and a half or so ago so I don't remember a damn thing about it, other than I loved it.
dammit, Everything Everything is taking forever from the library; I've been hearing such great things about it.
ReplyDeleteI want to read some Tropper someday :) I'm really glad that you liked Everything, Everything. I didn't see the twist coming either. :) I just thought it was too cute and fun to read. I shipped Maddie and Ollie pretty hard. hehe The movie was just ok, but I still enjoyed it. :) I'm also excited to read more of her books! I've only done a few for Erin's challenge... I've not been reading much at all, and I keep getting distracted by other books. LOL XO - Alexandra
ReplyDeleteSimply Alexandra: My Favorite Things