Tuesday, January 12, 2021

December Reads

I always struggle with starting posts. Especially ones that have been pre-written (though I'm getting at writing my reviews right after I finish reading the books!). Anyway, with no challenges to complete and my personal "must reads of the year" out of the way, or at least out of time (minus Little Women... will I ever read that book?!) I read a lot of humorous, light, seasonal books in December, and it was exactly what I needed to end out the year. No heavy hitters here, but no DNFs either! 


The Twelve Dates of Christmas - Jenny Bayliss: 4 Stars
library e-book


I was really excited to get this one because it's rare that my library actually purchases one of my recommendations. This was highly predictable but I had fun going on the 12 dates with Kate. I also really enjoyed the cast of characters, especially Mac and Esther. But I especially loved the surprise recipes at the end! I'm hoping to make one or two of them this season. I just wished there was one for the mulled wine or hot toddies they kept mentioning!
"On the fifth date of Shagmas my true love gave to me, One gay man dancing, One date of drinking, One fireman skating, One vegan weeping And a no-show outside the Pear Tree!"

Shit, Actually: The Definitive, 100% Objective Guide to Modern Cinema - Lindy West: 4 Stars
library hardback

While I didn't like Shrill, I decided to give Lindy West another chance, this time in a non-memoir form. I didn't read every essay in this collection because I didn't see every movie, therefore the jokes and critiques wouldn't make sense but I did make sure to watch The Fugitive before diving in, since she thinks that it is the greatest movie and rates every movie on a number of DVDs of the Fugitive it was worth (10 being the highest).

This was hysterical and I could not agree with many of her reviews more, even when she was bashing some of my all-time favorite movies (Love, Actually and The Notebook). I would love to see her critiques on 100 Days of Summer, Final Destination, and Die Hard, or even a whole collection based on holiday movies (and I don't just mean Christmas- Valentine's Day, Groundhog Day and Independence Day can be in there too). 

10 Blind Dates - Ashley Elston: 4 Stars
library e-book


Another highly predictable Christmas romance, but it was so cute! Sophie overhears her high school boyfriend basically breaking up with her to his buddy at a party right before she heads to her Nonna's for the holidays. Nonna thinks it would be fun (and help Sophie get out of her funk) if each family member set her up on 10 blind dates with someone of their choosing. Not part of the deal was that her family members start taking bets on which one of their dates will "win" (her heart), and how long she lasts on each date. It was fresh and flirty and fabulous! 

The Home Edit Life: The Complete Guide to Organizing Absolutely Everything at Work, at Home, and on the Go - Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin: 4 Stars
library hardback

I've been low-key obsessed with Clea and Joanna (but mostly Joanna- for some reason I just liked her so much more!) since watching their Netflix series. And while I was hoping to get The Home Edit first (because it came out first), I was excited when this became available from my library holds list, even though my hopes for it weren't as high. But I took so.many.notes! I loved the mini quizzes, I loved how they explained how to keep/get rid of things even if they didn't "bring me joy" (cough, Marie Kondo... sometimes you need THINGS because they are USEFUL even if they don't always bring you JOY), and why it's "okay" to have surplus of certain things, especially based on your lifestyle/work style. I took waaaaay too many screenshots and tagged so many pages, which basically just means I need to own it, obviously!


Blue Christmas Balls - Nick Spalding: 3 Stars
Kindle Unlimited


I admit the only reason I read this was because it was Christmassy, a novella, and Blue really enjoys this author. I'm still waiting to become a real fan. While there were some funny parts, there some seriously graphic, cringeworthy parts as well. Though I DID enjoy the parts about the Ewoks begins his favorite of the Star Wars characters, because honestly, same. I think that part may have jumped my rating up a whole star, tbh. 
"The Ewoks were my favourite characters in Star Wars when I was a child. This is a fact that could get me murdered should it ever come to light at a sci-fi convention. Until Jar Jar Binks came along, they were the most universally hated of all Star Wars characters, for being too bloody cute for their own good."

You Better Not Cry - Augusten Burroughs: 3 Stars
own, paperback


As with all short story collections, this was hit or miss. Hits: the time he worked as a Macy's Christmas elf, and confusing Santa Claus with Jesus (he was very young- and in his retelling, I could see where he would get confused). Misses: eating Santa's (wax) face and having to get his stomach pumped, getting black out drunk and spending a night (or two? three? he doesn't remember) hanging out with some bums, and the very dark tale of his relationship and Christmas with one of his lovers/boyfriends, George. His childhood memories of Christmas were much more enjoyable than his Christmases as an adult, that's for sure. 




What are you currently reading?
Linking up with Steph and Jana!

Life According to Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment