Thursday, September 10, 2020

10 on the 10th: School Days

I had a lot of fun putting this together, though I couldn't find all the pics I wanted to share. Won't you join me in a trip down memory lane?!

School Days : Prompt for September's 10 on the 10th

What does back to school look like in your home or community this year?

I'm not sure what my town is doing, but I work at a college in NJ and we are doing hybrid learning. In fact, the only students allowed on campus are freshmen and first year graduate students. Everyone on campus (staff, faculty, students) must be tested weekly. Most of the faculty and staff are on a rotating schedule, coming in 2-3 days/week. This is "where I be" when I'm working from home:



Does your state or city offer a back to school tax free weekend? If so, do you plan your back to school shopping around it? What kinds of things do you buy?


I'm not sure? The only supplies I bought this year were Lysol spray and wipes, extra masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer! 


Do your children wear school uniforms? If so, what do they look like? If not, is there a strict dress code in place? What are your thoughts on school uniforms? Did you wear a uniform?

I never wore a uniform but I think if I had kids I wouldn't be against it. 

What did you want to be when you were growing up? Did you plan to go to college?

Up until I found out how much math was involved in it, I wanted to be an architect! (This still boggles my mind because I was never much of an artist either.) Then after a friend had some family trouble, it was between a school psychologist and school counselor. That stuck through college, when I realized I'd need a Master's (and then most likely a Doctorate) before I'd be able to become either one. College was a non-negotiable. I was accepted Early Decision and attended Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. 


What sports did you play, what clubs were you in? Were you a cheerleader?

Through 8th grade I played all the sports- basketball, softball, soccer (my favorite was soccer). I was a Girl Scout from Daisy to Cadette level (grades K-8). In high school, I was a member of Key Club, Drama Club, Amnesty International, Choir, Jazz Band and Marching Band. And YES, I was a cheerleader! I was actually cheer captain and participated in competitive cheerleading until high school! 



Did you buy lunch or take lunch? If you took lunch from home, who made your lunch? What was your favorite school lunch?

I think I brought lunch until high school. Mom made my lunches, usually a cold-cut sandwich, snack, and fruit drink. Dunkaroos were a favorite snack, along with Devil Dogs :)
In high school I started buying lunch, and besides Pizza Day my favorite was called a "PV" (For Passaic Valley, my high school)- it was a bagel with cream cheese and Doritos on it! 


To what group or click did you belong? At my school we had the jocks, the parking lot gang, popular kids. Where did you fit in? Were you in a sorority? If so, which one?

I was never popular, though I also never wanted to be. The pop kids were the smokers and partiers and that was never my thing. I was a nerd until high school, when I became a "Band Geek" because I was in concert, jazz, and marching band. 

Did you spend much time in the library? What was your favorite class?

I was always an avid reader so yes, I spent a lot of time in the library and I loved it. My favorite class varied by year and teacher. I always liked English though. 

What are some of your favorite high school memories? Homecoming? Prom? Have you returned for any class reunions?

I haven't returned for any reunions and have no intention of doing so. Anyone I want to keep in touch with I do via FB. Prom was ok, but I wore the same dress as one of the popular kids so that soured it a little. One of my fave high school memories was when I got a car and got to drive my friends around :) 

How old were you when you started school? Did you have a favorite teacher?

I think I was 5? I was always one of the older kids in my class which only served me well when I turned 17 and could drive before a lot of my peers! My favorite teacher was Miss Weber- she was my grade school music teacher. We still keep in touch :) 

Do you have a favorite high school memory?
Linking up with Leslie

10 on the 10th 09.2020

No comments:

Post a Comment